To use terminology that is familiar to your employees, you can change field names. For example, you can change the Account Name field label to Company Name.
NOTE: It can take 30-60 minutes for the new field display names to appear in reports and analytics.
Before you begin. To perform this procedure, your role must include the Customize Application privilege.
To rename a field
- In the upper right corner of any page, click the Admin global link.
- In the Application Customization section, click the Application Customization link.
- In the Record Type Setup section, click the link for the required record type.
- In the Field Management section, click the required Field Setup link.
- In the record type Fields page, Click Rename Fields.
- In the Display Name column, edit the Name for the field.
- (Optional) To indicate that an updated name needs to be translated to other languages activated for your company, select the Mark for Translation check box.
NOTE: If you want this updated name to appear in other activated languages, select the Mark for Translation check box. In the other languages (or when you choose another language from the Translation drop-down list on this page), the updated name appears in blue text with brackets until you manually enter the translated versions. This helps you track what terms need to be translated.
If you do not select Mark for Translation, the previous display names remain, unaffected by the change you made here.
Selecting the Mark for Translation check box also causes the Field Validation Error Message (from the Field Edit page) to be marked for translation if the error message exists. The Field Validation Error Message field is visible only for users whose role includes the Advanced Field Management privilege.
- To manually enter the translated equivalent of the new name:
- From the Translation Language drop-down list, select the language whose translation you want to enter.
- Enter the translated equivalent in the appropriate Display Name field and click Save.
- Click the link to return to the Fields page you just updated and select the language again, if necessary.
The translated name appears in black text in the Display Name column.
- Click Save.