Operating System-Specific Information
This manual occasionally refers to other Oracle manuals that contain detailed information for using Oracle on a specific operating system. These Oracle manuals are often called installation and configuration guides, although the exact name may vary on different operating systems. Throughout this manual, references to these manuals are marked with the icon shown in the left margin.
This appendix lists all the references in this manual to operating system-specific Oracle manuals, and lists the operating system (OS) dependent initialization parameters. If you are using Oracle on multiple operating systems, this appendix can help you ensure that your applications are portable across these operating systems.
Operating-system-specific topics in this manual are listed alphabetically below.
- Administrator privileges, prerequisites: "Connecting with Administrator Privileges"
- Auditing: "Events Always Audited to the Operating System Audit Trail" and "Auditing to the OS Audit Trail"
- Authenticating users: "Authentication by the Operating System"
- Authenticating DBAs: "Connecting with Administrator Privileges" and "Authentication of Database Administrators"
- Background processes, ARCn: "Archiver Processes (ARCn)"
- Background processes, creating: "Background Processes"
- Background processes, DBWn processes: "Database Writer (DBWn)"
- Client/server communication: "Dedicated Server Configuration"
- Communication software: "Operating System Communications Software"
- Configuring Oracle: "Types of Processes"
- Data blocks, size of: "Data Blocks"
- Datafiles, size of file header: "Datafiles"
- Dedicated server, requesting for administrative operations: "Restricted Operations of the Multi-Threaded Server"
- Indexes, overhead of index blocks: "Format of Index Blocks"
- Net8, choosing and installing network drivers: "The Program Interface Drivers"
- Net8, drivers included in Net8 software: "How Net8 Works"
- Parallel recovery and asynchronous I/O: "Situations That Benefit from Parallel Recovery"
- Program global areas (PGAs): "Size of a PGA"
- Role management by the operating system: "The Operating System and Roles"
- Rollback segments, number of transactions per: "Transactions and Rollback Segments"
- Software code areas, shared or unshared: "Software Code Areas"