This page links to two tutorials demonstrating various aspects of the use of JAAS (JavaTM Authentication and Authorization Service):
Explains how an application can authenticate users using JAAS.
Explains how to enforce user-based access controls using JAAS.
The authentication technology used for these tutorials is very
basic, just ensuring that the user specifies a particular name and
password. Thus, these tutorials can be run by everyone.
- com.sun.security.auth Package
- com.sun.security.auth.callback Package
- com.sun.security.auth.login Package
- com.sun.security.auth.module Package
- Similar tutorials for JAAS authentication and authorization, but which demonstrate the use of a Kerberos LoginModule and thus which require a Kerberos installation, can be found at
These two tutorials are a part of the Java GSS-API and JAAS sequence of tutorials that utilize Kerberos as the underlying technology for authentication and secure communication.
- Java 2 Security Tutorial
Other Java Security Documentation
Copyright © 1993, 2011, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.