|Oracle 8i Data Cartridge Developer's Guide
Release 2 (8.1.6)
Part Number A76937-01
Design Considerations, 8 of 8
How to Write Portable Cartridge Code
- Use the datatypes in oratypes.h
- Use OCI calls where ever possible.
- Use the switches which enforce ANSI C conformance when possible
- Use ANSI C function prototypes
- Build and test on your target platforms as early in your development cycle as possible (flush out platform specific code and allow as much time to redesign as possible).
You should avoid:
- Storing endian (big/little) specific data
- Storing floating point data (IEEE/VAX/other)
- Operating System specific calls (if they can't be avoided, isolate them in an OS specific layer, however the calls you require are not in the OCI, and also are not in POSIX, then you are likely to encounter intractable problems)
size_t implicit casts on a 64 bit platform