How can I test the Coherence functionality on a single workstation?
The simplest way is to run either the Coherence command line utility or the Swing GUI demo. On Windows, if the .jar extension is associated with java.exe or javaw.exe, you can run the Swing GUI demo directly from the Windows Explorer by double-clicking on the tangosol\lib\demo.jar file. Otherwise, follow these instructions:
- Open several command windows (or terminal windows or telnet sessions for Unix).
- In each command window, use the cd command to navigate to the tangosol directory.
- Verify that Java is available by typing "java -version". If it is not, modify the PATH variable or ensure that the JAVA_HOME variable is configured.
- Launch an instance of the command line utility in each command window by issuing the following command:
You will see the Coherence "Command:" prompt once the command line utility starts.
- Alternatively, launch an instance of the Swing GUI demo in each command window by issuing the following command:
You will see the Swing GUI demo appear. When using a Unix telnet session, this may require the DISPLAY variable to be configured in order to work.
The first time that you start the command line utility or the Swing GUI demo, it may take longer to start because it will time out trying to locate a pre-existing cluster.