Siebel Installation Guide for UNIX > Requirements for Installing and Configuring Siebel Business Applications > Planning Your Siebel Deployment >
Restrictions on Names for Siebel Enterprise and Siebel Server
This topic is part of Planning Your Siebel Deployment.
This topic describes restrictions to observe when planning the names that you will give the Siebel Enterprise and Siebel Server instances during configuration of Siebel Business Applications software.
See also Restrictions on Host Names for Siebel Gateway Name Server and Siebel Server.
Siebel Configuration Wizard tasks that specify or refer to the Siebel Enterprise name or the Siebel Server name validate for some of the following requirements, such as the 12-character limit. User input is validated in the wizard, unless you specify to skip validation, as described in Starting a Siebel Configuration Wizard. Observe all of the documented restrictions regardless of validation behavior.
Siebel Enterprise Naming Restrictions
The following restrictions apply to naming a Siebel Enterprise:
- The name must be no longer than 12 characters.
- The name cannot be server or enterprise. (A name such as enterprise1 is acceptable.)
Siebel Server Naming Restrictions
When planning the names of Siebel Server instances within a Siebel Enterprise, the following restrictions apply:
- Names must contain only alphabetic characters, numerals, underscores, or a combination thereof. For example, do not use dashes (hyphens) in naming Siebel Server instances.
- Names must lead with an alphabetic character.
- Names must be unique within the Siebel Enterprise.
- Names must be no longer than 12 characters.
- Names cannot be server or enterprise. (Names such as server1 are acceptable.)