|Previous Contents Index DocHome Next|
|iPlanet Web Server, Enterprise Edition NSAPI Programmer's Guide|
About This Book
This book was last updated 5/15/01.
This book discusses how to use Netscape Server Application Programmer's Interface (NSAPI) to build plugins that define Server Application Functions (SAFs) to extend and modify iPlanetTM Web Server, Enterprise Edition version 6.0. The book also discusses the purpose and use of the configuration files obj.conf, magnus.conf, server.xml, and mime.types, and provides comprehensive lists of the directives and functions that can be used in these configuration files. It also provides a reference of the NSAPI functions you can use to define new plugins.
This book has the following chapters and appendices:
Chapter 1 "Basics of Server Operation"
Chapter 2 "Syntax and Use of obj.conf"
- This chapter discusses how the iPlanet Web Server uses configuration files to perform initialization tasks and to process client requests.
Chapter 3 "Predefined SAFs and the Request Handling Process"
- This chapter goes into detail on the configuration file obj.conf. The chapter discusses the syntax and use of directives in this file, which instruct the server how to process requests.
Chapter 4 "Creating Custom SAFs"
- This chapter discusses each of the stages in the request handling process, and provides an API reference of the Server Application Functions (SAFs) that can be invoked at each stage.
Chapter 5 "NSAPI Function Reference"
- This chapter discusses how to create your own plugins that define new SAFs to modify or extend the way the server handles requests.
Chapter 6 "Examples of Custom SAFs"
- This chapter presents a reference of the functions in the Netscape Server Application Programming Interface (API). You use NSAPI functions to define SAFs.
Chapter 7 "Syntax and Use of magnus.conf"
- This chapter discusses examples of custom SAFs to use at each stage in the request handling process.
Chapter 8 "Virtual Server Configuration Files"
- This appendix discusses the variables you can set in the configuration file magnus.conf to configure the iPlanet Web Server during initialization.
Appendix A "Data Structure Reference"
- This appendix discusses the variables you can set in the configuration file server.xml to configure virtual servers in iPlanet Web Server.
Appendix B "MIME Types"
Appendix C "Wildcard Patterns"
Appendix D "Time Formats"
- This appendix lists the wildcard patterns you can use when specifying values in obj.conf, various predefined SAFs, and in some NSAPI functions.
Appendix E "HyperText Transfer Protocol"
Appendix F "Dynamic Results Caching Functions"
Appendix G "Alphabetical List of NSAPI Functions and Macros"
Appendix H "Alphabetical List of Directives in magnus.conf"
Appendix I "Alphabetical List of Pre-defined SAFs"
Previous Contents Index DocHome Next
Copyright © 2001 Sun Microsystems, Inc. Some preexisting portions Copyright © 2001 Netscape Communications Corp. All rights reserved.
Last Updated May 15, 2001