Powering On and Configuring the Appliance
This section provides instructions for configuring the primary network interface using the preinstalled
Sun ZFS Storage 7000 command line interface (CLI). After you configure the primary
interface, configure the remaining system parameters using the browser user interface (BUI) from
any client on the same network.
Refer to the Installation section for detailed instructions to install your system
in the rack. Complete the system cabling according to the Cabling Diagrams section.
Gather the following information in preparation for configuring an Ethernet interface on
the storage controller.
If you will access the appliance through an administrative client, configure the
administrative client with the following settings:
8N1: eight data bits, no parity, one stop bit
Disable hardware flow control (CTS/RTS)
Disable software flow control (XON/XOFF)
Refer to the Quick Setup poster that shipped with the product or
the following sections for an overview of your system controller.
Connecting to ILOM
In rare cases, faults associated with uncorrectable CPU errors are not diagnosable
or displayed in the controller. These faults will be preserved by
and observable on the ILOM. Connect to the server ILOM (Service
Processor) on the server platform to diagnose hardware faults that do not
appear in the BUI.
In a cluster environment, an ILOM connection should be made to each
The server ILOM provides options for (i) network and (ii) serial port
connectivity. Network connection is the preferred choice, as the ILOM serial
port does not always allow adequate means of platform data collection.
WARNING : Failure to configure ILOM connectivity may lead to longer than
necessary hardware fault diagnosis and resolution times.
Powering On the Appliance
You can access the system by connecting an administrative client to the
serial management port on the controller. Alternatively, if there is a Dynamic
Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) server on the network, you can access the
system by connecting the network management port to your network.
Note that if you are installing a cluster, configure only one controller
initially. The software propagates the configuration to the peer controller during cluster
initialization. After the cluster is initialized, you can administer the system from
either storage controller. However, do not attempt initial configuration on both controllers
independently. Refer to the Cluster documentation for more information.
- To perform initial configuration using serial, connect a serial cable from the
SER MGT port on the back panel of the controller to the
serial port on the administrative client. Use a DB9 to RJ45 adapter
- To perform initial configuration using Ethernet, connect an Ethernet cable from the
NET MGT port on the back panel of the controller to your
- Connect an Ethernet cable from your network to the NET0 port on
the back panel of the controller.
- For 7120, 7320 and 7420, power on any disk shelves attached to
the storage system by plugging the two power cords into the universal
power connectors, connecting the cords to the external power source and turning
on the disk shelf power switches. Wait several minutes until the power
indicators are lit a steady green.
- For 7120, 7320 and 7420, connect power cables to power supply 0
and power supply 1 on the storage controller(s) and wait until the
Power/OK LED on the front panel next to the Power button lights
and remains lit (approximately two minutes).
- Open a terminal window or terminal emulator and issue the appropriate command,
- For a serial port concentrator connect (for example, using telnet), and use
root as the user name and replace serial-concentrator portnumber with the appropriate value,
for example: telnet serial-concentrator portnumber
- For a network connection, connect using SSH and use root as the
user name and determine the IP address by accessing your DHCP server
for the address assigned to the Service Processor MAC address (see the
label on the storage controller), for example: ssh firstname.lastname@example.org
- Type the password changeme when prompted.
- At the command prompt, type start /SP/console.
- Type y to confirm that you want to start the console.
- Press any key to begin configuring the appliance. The shell interface configuration
screen appears. NET-0 at the top of the screen should be underlined.
- Verify the information on the screen, or enter values that do not
- Apply the values by pressing ESC-1 or the F1 key or by
pressing Enter after confirming the password. The final shell configuration screen appears,
confirming that your appliance is ready for further configuration using the BUI.
Configure the remaining system parameters through the CLI after logging in, or
through a browser running on any client on the same network as
the initial interface. The management software is designed to be fully featured
and functional on a variety of web browsers.
- Direct your browser to the system using either the IP address or
host name you assigned to the NET0 port as follows: https://ipaddress:215 or
https://hostname:215. The login screen appears.
- Type root into the Username field and the administrative password that you
entered into the appliance shell kit interface and press the Enter key.
The Welcome screen appears.
- To begin configuring the system, click Start on the Welcome screen. You
are guided through the Initial Configuration of the remaining network interfaces, DNS,
time settings, directory service and storage.