Create Compartments to Own Network Resources and API Gateway Resources in the Tenancy, if they don't exist already
Before users can start using the API Gateway service to create API gateways and deploy APIs on them, as a tenancy administrator you have to create:
- a compartment to own network resources (a VCN, a public or private regional subnet, and other resources such as an internet gateway, a route table, security lists and/or network security groups)
- a compartment to own API Gateway resources (API gateways, API deployments)
Note that the same compartment can own both network resources and API Gateway-related resources. Alternatively, you can create two separate compartments for network resources and API Gateway-related resources.
If suitable compartments already exist, there's no need to create new ones.
To create a compartment to own network resources and/or API Gateway-related resources in the tenancy:
- Log in to the Console as a tenancy administrator.
- Open the navigation menu and click Identity & Security. Under Identity, click Compartments. A list of the compartments in your tenancy is displayed.
- Click Create Compartment and create a new compartment (see To create a compartment). Give the compartment a meaningful name (for example,
acme-api-gateway-compartment, ) and description. Avoid entering confidential information.
Normally, API gateways and API deployments are created in the same compartment. However, in large development teams with many API developers, you might find it useful to create separate compartments for API gateways and for API deployments. Doing so will enable you to give different groups of users appropriate access to those resources.