Upgrading VMware Software
Learn how to upgrade the software running on the SDDC and ESXi hosts.
When a new version of the VMware software becomes available, VMware Solution notifies you and provides a workflow that guides you through the upgrade process step-by-step.
There are significant architectural changes to the platform from vSphere version 6.x to 7.x. To perform the upgrade, the workflow provisions a new vSphere 7.0 SDDC and ESXi hosts on OCI VMware Solution and uses VMware HCX to migrate workloads to the new vSphere 7 SDDC. During the upgrade workflow two more VLANs are required for provisioning and migration. You can create the VLANs before you start the workflow, or let the workflow create them for you.
The upgrade workflow creates new, upgraded ESXi hosts to replace the old hosts. The new hosts use the hourly billing rate and begin billing as soon as they're active. The workflow requires you to delete the old hosts after you verify that the new hosts are functioning correctly. After the old host is deleted, the new host is updated to use the billing interval of the old host. Be sure to delete old hosts in a timely manner to avoid unnecessary charges. See Transferring Billing Commitments for more information.
OCI only supports an in-place upgrade workflow from version 6.x to 7.x. To upgrade from 7.x to 8.x, create a new SDDC and hosts using version 8.x. Then, migrate workloads from the 7.x SDDC to the 8.x SDDC, and transfer the host billing commitments. See Transferring Billing Commitments for more information.
Using the Console
Optionally, create two more VLANs that the workflow can use for provisioning and migration. For more information, see VLANs.
- In the upgrade notification on the SDDC details page, click Upgrade.
In the Upgrade SDDC page, enter required information:
- Select new version.
- Update network: You can either select VLANs for provisioning and migration that have already been created, or the workflow can create them for you.
- If you choose Select existing VLANs, choose a replication and a provisioning VLAN.
If you choose Create new VLANs, specify the following information:
- Create in compartment: Choose a compartment for the VLANs. Be sure it's a compartment that you have permission to work in.
- Name: Enter a friendly name for the VLAN. Avoid entering confidential information.
- CIDR: Enter an available CIDR block in the selected VCN for the SDDC management CIDR.
- Route table name: Enter a friendly name for the route table used for mapping VLAN traffic.
- Network security group (NSG) name: Enter a friendly name for the NSG associated with the VLAN.
(Optional) Click Show NSG details to view or edit the information for the network security group for each VLAN.
- Click Upgrade.
When the SDDC upgrade is complete, a notification appears in the SDDC details page where you can download updated licenses and binaries:
- Click Get updated binaries and licenses.
- After downloading, visit vCenter and update the licenses and binaries with the updated versions. See VMware Upgrade Documentation for more information.
- When you're finished, check I have updated the binaries and licenses in vCenter and click Next.
Upgrade the ESXi hosts:
- Click a host in the list.
- In the host's Upgrade notification, click Upgrade.
- In the Upgrade ESXi host page, choose on-demand or use capacity reservations. For more information, see Capacity Reservations.
- (Optional) Enable notifications for the host. See Configuring Notifications for more information.
Check I understand that I must delete the old host after the new host is successfully created, or I will be charged for both hosts, then click Upgrade.
Upgrading a host can take time. Click Work Requests to view the progress of the upgrade.
When the upgrade has successfully been completed for each host, delete the old hosts.
The new hosts use the hourly billing rate and begin billing as soon as they're active. After the old host is deleted, the new host is updated to use the billing interval of the old host. Be sure to delete old hosts in a timely manner to avoid unnecessary charges.
- A notification appears in the SDDC Details page that the old hosts have been upgraded. In the notification, click the name of an old host.
- In the old host's Details page, click Delete.