An APM domain is an Oracle Cloud Infrastructure resource, which contains the systems being monitored by Application Performance Monitoring.
You can create an APM domain in a compartment if you have the Oracle Cloud Account
Administrator role or if the administrator has created a user policy to grant you the
manage apm-domains permission in the target compartment. You can
create an APM domain in the Oracle Cloud Infrastructure console or
using the Oracle Cloud Infrastructure command line interface (
APM domain-related tasks are long-running asynchronous operations that result in the generation of work requests. A work request is an activity log that tracks each step of an asynchronous operation and enables you to monitor the progress of the task. For information on asynchronous work requests, see Asynchronous Work Requests.
Create an APM Domain Using the Console
Here's information on how to create an APM domain in the Oracle Cloud Infrastructure console.
- Sign in to the Oracle Cloud Infrastructure console.
- Open the navigation menu, click Observability & Management. Under Application Performance Monitoring, click Administration.
- On the Administration page, in the left pane, select the compartment in which you want to create the APM domain.
- On the APM Domains page, click Create APM Domain.
- Enter the required details in the Create APM Domain
- Enter a name for the APM domain in the Name field.
- Select the compartment in the Create in Compartment field.
- Enter a description for the APM domain in the Description field.
- Optionally, check the Create as Free Tier Domain check box to create a free domain. If box is left unchecked, the domain will be created as a paid domain.
- Click on the Show Advanced Options if you want to specify tags.
- Click Create.
Note that if the APM domain you created is not listed on the page, then you must check if the compartment in which you created the APM domain is selected in the Compartment field in the left pane.
You can click the APM domain name to go to the Domain Details page.
APM Domain Details
On the Domain Details page, you can do the following:
- View APM Domain Information such as APM domain type, the OCID assigned to it, and the Data Upload Endpoint.
- Copy the Data Upload Endpoint for the APM domain to use when configuring data sources such as the APM Java agent and the Browser agent.
- Click Add Tags to use the Tagging metadata system to organize and track the APM domains. For information on Tagging, see Tagging Overview.
- Click Delete to delete the APM domain.
- Click Data Keys from the left pane to
view the default Private and Public data keys.
From the Data Keys pane, click Generate Data Key to generate additional Private and Public data keys that you can use when configuring data sources. One Private Key (
auto_generated_private_datakey) and one Public Key (
auto_generated_public_datakey) are automatically generated when a domain is created.
- Click Work Requests from the left pane to monitor the progress and status of the asynchronous work requests for the APM domain.
- Click Apdex Thresholds from the left
pane to configure Apdex thresholds for the APM domain.
Application Performance Index or Apdex, is an index used for measuring application performance and user satisfaction. For more information about Apdex, see The Apdex Users Group.
Once the APM domain is created, you can use the Apdex thresholds rules created by default. If your reporting needs require a different set of Apdex thresholds rules, you can add or modify the existing ones at any time.
From the Apdex Thresholds pane, click Create Rule to create a new rule.
Use the action menu to edit or copy a rule, move up or down a rule priority, or delete a rule.
Create an APM Domain Using CLI
For a list of available CLI commands to create an APM domain, see Oracle Cloud Infrastructure CLI Command Reference.