Use Oracle Analytics Cloud Data Gateway to connect to on-premises data sources. Data Gateway enables you to deploy Oracle Analytics Cloud with large on-premises data sets without migrating the data to the cloud. Users can analyze the data in data visualizations, and in reporting dashboards and analyses.
There're two types of Data Gateway deployment:
- Server - Install Data Gateway using the Oracle Universal Installer onto a Linux platform.
- Personal - Install Data Gateway by copying the Data Gateway binaries onto a Windows or MacOS machine.
Data Gateway works in the same way for server and personal deployments, but there are differences in how you maintain and upgrade them.
Data Gateway replaces the Remote Data Connector utility that was used in earlier releases. Oracle recommends using Data Gateway for remote connections, except when connecting to remote Oracle Essbase data sources, in which case you should continue to use Remote Data Connector. See Install the Legacy Remote Data Connector.
This diagram shows a typical architecture for a deployment of Data
Gateway with Oracle
Analytics Cloud. You install Data Gateway in the remote network and configure the Data Gateway
agent for communication with your Oracle
Analytics Cloud instance.
Description of the illustration dg_archit-png.png
Functionality and Limitations
- Data Gateway agents poll Oracle Analytics Cloud for queries to run against your on-premises data sources. The results of these queries are returned to Oracle Analytics Cloud.
- For secure communication, Data Gateway traffic is signed with an encryption key and each packet is additionally encrypted by Transport Layer Security (TLS)/Secure Sockets Layer (SSL).
- Data flows can source data from remote connections. However, data flows can't save data to data sets that use remote connections.
Supported Data Sources
Look for databases with a "Yes" in the "Remote Connectivity for Data Sets" column or in the "Remote Connectivity for Data Models" column in Supported Data Sources.
Deploying Multiple Data Gateway Agents
You can deploy multiple Data Gateway agents so that there's no single point of failure. Deploying multiple Data Gateway agents might also improve performance if an agent was short of resources. When you register an agent using the Data Gateway Agent Configuration dialog, note the following:
- You should configure each agent in the same way.
- Each agent is capable of serving all remote queries. You can't target specific queries at specific agents.
- If you leave the Allowed Hosts field blank, the agent tries to reach a data source on any host based on the connection information it retrieves from a connection in Oracle Analytics Cloud. If you specify hosts in the Allowed Hosts field, the agent can only address those hosts specified.