Before You Begin
This 15-minute tutorial shows you how to create a connection to an Oracle autonomous database. You create visualizations from an autonomous database view.
This tutorial uses Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse. You use a view created from the autonomous database to analyze the sales history data of an electronics store by creating a Sales Summary visualization, and a Sales by Month visualization. The Sales by Month visualization uses Advanced Analytics to show the trend in sales.
This is the third tutorial in the series. Do the tutorials in the order listed.
- Provision your Autonomous Database:
- Connect with SQL Developer and Create a View for Data Visualization
- Creating Your First Visualization with Data From an Oracle Autonomous Database
What Do You Need?
- Access to Oracle Analytics or Oracle Data Visualization Desktop
- Access to Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse
- Download the
wallet_SALESADB.zipthat you created in Connect with SQL Developer and Create a View for Data Visualization
Create the Connection to Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse
This section assumes that you have the credentials to access Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse, and you have created a
DV_SH_View in Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse to use as your source data set.
- Sign in to Oracle Analytics or Oracle Data Visualization Desktop.
- In the Home page, click Create. In Create, click Connection.
- In Create Connection - Select Connection Type, click Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse. In Create Connection - Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse, enter
MyAdwin Connection Name.
- In Create Connection, enter a Connection Name, for example, MyADW_connection.
- In Description, enter a brief description.
- Click Select next to Client Credentials. In File Upload, select the
wallet_SALESADB.zipfile from your download location.
The Client Credentials field is populated with
cwallet.sso, and the Service Name field contains a value.
- In User Name and Password, enter your Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse credentials.
- From the Service list, select the salesadb_high service for your data, and then click Save.
Create an Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse Data Set
- In the Home page, click Create. In Create, click Data Set.
- In Create Data Set, click MyAdw.
- In Untitled - Data Set, click ANALYST1. In ANALYST1, click DV_SH_VIEW.
- In Name, enter
Sales_History, and then click Add All.
- Click Get Preview Data. In Preview Data, select the CALENDAR_YEAR column, click Measure and then select Attribute.
- Select the CUST_YEAR_BIRTH column, click Measure, and then select Attribute.
- Click Add, wait for the progress indicator to stop, and then click Create Project.
Create Your First Visualization
The Sales_History data set is loaded into the Data Elements pane on the Visualize page.
- In the Data Elements pane, hold down the Ctrl key, and select the following data elements:
- Drag and release the data elements onto the canvas.
A scatter visualization displays the data with legends for the CALENDAR_YEAR colors, and PROD_CATEGORY shapes.
- In Properties, click Auto in the Title row, select Custom, and then enter
- Click Save. In Save Project, enter
Sales Historyin Name, and then click Save.
Create a Visualization to Sales for Each Month
The Sales Summary provides a good visual for sales in different product categories or in a multiple year period. In this section you create a visualization that answers the question, "What are my monthly sales by dollar and quantity sold?"
- In the Data Elements pane, hold down the Ctrl key, and select the following:
- Drag the data elements next to the existing visualization, and release when a thick blue line appears in the canvas.
A scatter visualization shows amount sold and quantity sold by month.
- Click Visualization Type , and select Combo.
- In the Grammar panel, right-click QUANTITY_SOLD, and select Bar and Y-Axis.
- In Properties, click General , click Auto in the Title row, click Custom, and then enter
Sales by Month.
- In the Sales by Month visualization, click Menu , click Add Trend Line, and then click Save.