Use these options to monitor overall process flow and make adjustments as needed.
If you’re an administrator or process owner, your Home page displays alerts with the number of suspended and recoverable instances, and alerted tasks. Click an alert to view details about the problematic instances or tasks. Select an instance or task and correct the problem.
Tracking Process Instances
Tracking a process instance enables you to identify any problems with the flow or the assignment that might be delaying the process. Depending on your role, you can locate and track the flow of a specific instance, and view the instance history, comments, attachments, details, documents, and conversations.
To track process instances:
- Go to the Home page, click My Tasks, and then click Processes.
- Click the instance you want to track.
- In the Instance Details pane, view the following:
- Open Activities: displays the currently running activities in the process. At a certain point in the flow, the process might have multiple activities running at the same time.
- Comments: displays the history of the comments for this process instance.
- Attachments: displays the attachments for this process instance.
- History: enables you to view the process flow this instance followed before getting to the current activity. You can view the history as a list, a tree, or a graphic.
- Details: displays detailed information about the instance such as the priority, the status and the creation date.
- Documents: displays the documents that are integral to the instance.
- Conversations: enables you to view the conversations related to the instance.
Altering the Flow of a Process Instance
You can change the process flow of an instance that is currently suspended because of a problem, or move an instance that is running to another activity because of a specific reason. If an activity is failing because of the value of the data objects and instance attributes, then you can modify them and retry running the current activity again.
- Go to the Home page, click My Tasks, and then click Processes.Alternatively, you can access suspended instances, recoverable instances, and alerted tasks from the alerts box on the home page. See Viewing Alerts.
- Click the instance you want to alter.
- In the Instance Details pane, click Alter Flow & action.
If the status of the selected instance is In Progress, then the button is labeled Alter Flow & Suspend.
If the status of the selected instance is Suspended, then the button is labeled Alter Flow & Resume.
- In the Open Activities table, go to the New Activity column and select an activity that redirects the process instance.
- In the Comments field, enter a comment justifying your action or adding information.
- Optionally, you can change the value of the data objects or instance attributes:
- To view the process instance attributes, click Show Instance Attributes.
- To display the data object in a tree, click Show as Tree located below the Data Objects list.
- Click the data object whose value you want to modify.The XML that represents that data object appears to the right of the list of data objects.
- Locate the value of the data object in the XML and edit it.
- Click either Resume or Suspend. Depending on the current status of the process instance only one of these buttons appears.
Monitoring Key Metrics in Dashboards
Use the dashboards to monitor the overall state of your processes and view specific process metrics such as bottleneck processes. You can also create custom graphs to view process data based on the business indicators defined in your business processes.
To monitor dashboards, go to the Home page, click My Tasks, click Dashboards, and select a dashboard. Optionally, click Filter to select specific processes to view for that dashboard.
These filters enable you to select which processes to display. For some types of dashboards, you can also select the assignees and time period to display.
Available dashboards are:
Monitor the overall state of the processes available to you, and spot any anomalies.
Shows the total number of instances that are in progress, suspended, and recoverable for each process. Click Total Open, Active, Recoverable, or Suspended to view the instances for the selected item or double-click a line in the chart to view the instances for that process.
Shows a top level view of the current running instances, and a detailed analysis of the running instances for each process. This analysis includes the number of instances on track, due this week, overdue, suspended, recoverable, created today and closed today. Click any of the rows to view the instances for that process.
Shows the workload for the top ten processes or bottleneck processes. View the workload for each of the processes by task or by assignee.
View the workload and cycle trend for each process, or the workload and cycle trend for each of the tasks in those processes.
View the closed instances for the current day, week, or month, that are successfully completed, aborted, and errored. Also see the average cycle time for the current period, the previous period, and the maximum cycle time for the current period.
Viewing and Resending Email Notifications
You can view the notification logs to monitor the status of notifications sent for tasks and Business Activity Monitoring. You can try to resend the email notifications to all the original recipients or to some of them by using the notification logs if the email notifications fail due to lack of network availability, wrong email addresses, or temporarily unavailable email servers.
- Go to the Home page, click My Tasks, and then click Administration.
- Click Notification Logs.The Notifications table displays the following information:
- On the Notification Logs page you can:
Search for a specific notification.
Sort the notifications by date or by status.
View bad addresses.
Click the View Bad Addresses button. A dialog box with the list of emails with bad email addresses opens.
Click the Test Notifications button. A dialog box opens for you to send a notification email as a test.
Fix notification problems.Click the drop-down list on the actions column and select one of the following actions:
Resend to all members
Resend to specific members