Scale out the Oracle Coherence data tier in an Oracle Java Cloud Service instance to increase its total cache capacity.
As your application workload increases and your Coherence data tier requires more capacity, you can use Oracle Java Cloud Service to scale out the data grid cluster. Each time you perform a scale-out operation, Oracle Java Cloud Service adds a single node to the data grid cluster. This node runs the same number of Managed Servers as the other existing nodes in the data grid cluster.
For example, if you created a service instance and set its Coherence Cluster Size to 4 and Managed Servers Per Node to 2, the initial data grid cluster in this service instance contains 2 nodes, each running 2 servers. Scaling out a data grid cluster with this configuration adds one node with 2 servers, for a total of 3 nodes and 6 servers.
The Coherence data tier cluster within a service instance is scaled independently of its application tier cluster.
You cannot scale a service instance if it is under maintenance, such as during a patching or backup operation.
If backups are configured for the service instance, Oracle Java Cloud Service will attempt to create a backup before scaling the instance.
- Access the Oracle Java Cloud Service console.
- Click the name of the service instance to which you want to add a Coherence node.The Overview page is displayed.
- Click the Menu for the Data Grid Cluster, and then select Scale Out.
- When prompted for confirmation, click Scale Out.
- Click Refresh until a new node is added to the Data Grid Cluster section of the Overview page.The status of the cluster indicates that the scaling operation is in progress.
- Periodically click Refresh until the scaling operation is complete.
You cannot perform any other management operations on the service instance while the scaling operation is in progress.
You can also monitor the progress of the scaling operation from the Activity page.