Create a KPI using elements available in data and projects.
Measurements, targets, and related measurements must be facts.
- Measurement is the single column that is being assessed in the KPI.
- Target generates a status for the KPI card. A specified target in combination with the Target Goal determines what kind of condition templates are available, which can be modified as needed. You can add multiple Targets.
- Use Related Measurements as supplemental information in a card’s visualization. Related measurements also provide context for the Related KPIs seen in the large card.
- Measurement, Target, and Related Measurement include properties settings for number format customizations for that number.
- Time levels are used to filter a KPI based on time. Time is applied to the KPI card at the level of granularity that can be provided.
- Related Grouping Categories allow the visualization on a KPI card to be dimensioned by this column. They can also be used in deck filters. When you select the Related Grouping Category, you can set properties for this column to be used in visualizations, deck filters, or both. The superset of filters included in the constituent cards of a deck appears in the deck itself. Depending on how the Deck is constructed, all or only some filters apply to all the Cards.
- Filters can be set at the KPI level to further limit the data described by the KPI.
- From the Home page, click Navigator and select KPIs.
- On the KPIs page, click Create.
- In the Add Data Set dialog, select the Subject Area(s) or Data Set(s) you want to use.
- Enter the Name, Description, Owner, and Tags of the KPI in the Overview section. Name is required.By selecting the KPI Name in the Data Pane, the properties for the KPI can be set. These include more nuanced configuration of data blending, and details around the properties and behavior of the KPI. A Target Goal defines the desired business goals for the KPI such as Hit Target, Stay Above Target or Stay Below Target. These are used to evaluate the KPI’s status against the Target. The Trends Goal can also be specified, and this is seen on the KPI card as a positive or negative directional arrow based on the optimal, selected direction.
- Drag and drop elements from the Data Pane to the Data fields.
- Create calculations by clicking the plus sign (+) next to KPI Calculations and using the Expression Editor to formulate the equation. Double-click Data Elements and Expression options to add them to the equation. Validate the equation before saving it.
- Add links to cards, projects, stories, or dashboards, or external URLs. You can rearrange links to display them in a specific order.
- As you are creating your KPI, a Data Preview can be opened at the bottom of the screen. This is a preview of the resulting data used to generate any card subsequently created from this KPI.