Tasks to Prepare for Oracle Database Upgrades
Carry out these tasks to prepare your upgrade.
Before you upgrade your database, Oracle recommends that you review the new features and determine the best upgrade path and method to use, and carry out procedures to prepare your database for upgrade. Oracle strongly recommends that you test the upgrade process and prepare a backup strategy.
- Become Familiar with New Oracle Database Features
Before you plan the upgrade process, become familiar with the features of the new Oracle Database release.
- Choose an Upgrade Method for Oracle Database
Oracle offers several methods to upgrade your database, which support the complexities of your enterprise.
- Choose a New Location for Oracle Home when Upgrading
You cannot install the new software into the same location for Oracle home as your current release.
- Develop a Test Plan for Upgrading Oracle Database
Review these topics to understand how to create a series of carefully designed tests to validate all stages of the upgrade process.
- Prepare a Backup Strategy before Upgrading Oracle Database
You must design and carry out an appropriate backup strategy to ensure a successful upgrade.
Parent topic: Preparing to Upgrade Oracle Database