Here is an explanation of various tools and uses cases for migrating applications.
Note:related to migration, reference to “19c” applies specifically to Essbase on OCI Marketplace deployments, otherwise it applies to “21c” or higher for Essbase independent deployments.
11g Excel Export Utility (formerly Export Utility): Exports Essbase 11g applications to application workbooks. You can use the application workbooks to re-create the applications on the current Essbase version.
11g LCM Export Utility (formerly LCM Utility): Exports artifacts from Essbase 11g On-Premise as a
.zipfile, which you can import in to Essbase 12c or higher. This Life Cycle Management (LCM) utility can also be used to export from, and import to, 11g releases of Essbase. This utility packages into a zip everything you need to support migration to the current version. Download
EssbaseLCMUtility.zip, and see the enclosed README for usage details. With the 11g LCM Export Utility, you can create applications by exporting applications and cubes. You then import them using the Essbase Command Line Interface.
Command Line Interface (CLI) (formerly Command-line tool): A scripting interface that uses REST APIs to perform most common Essbase administrative actions. CLI includes an LCM import command you can use for migrating 11g LCM Export Utility
.zipfiles exported from Essbase 11g On-Premise. The LCM export and LCM import commands also facilitate migrating applications between instances, on versions 12c or higher. Use cases include:
Both LCM commands are based on the REST API. You can access these commands in Essbase and run them from the following:
- Migration of applications between different instances of the same version (e.g. Dev > Test > Prod)
- Upgrade utility for migration to higher versions of Essbase
- Jobs in the Essbase web interface: LCM export and LCM import jobs. This is used for 21c to 21c migration.
- Command Line Interface (CLI): using LCM export and LCM import commands. LCM import can be used to import data zip file originating from Essbase 11g, or from 19c or higher. LCM export can be used for Essbase 21c to 21c migration. Using its login command, authenticate Essbase.
- REST API: Execute Job operation (using jobTypes lcmexport and lcmimport)
Note:LCM export command can be used to export an application to a zip file and then LCM import is used to import it to the target version of Essbase. LCM Import command can alternatively be used to migrate an application originating from Essbase 11g (exported from 11g using the 11g LCM Export Utility to an export zip file and then imported from the zip file it to the target Essbasecommand-line).
- Migration Utility: Manage migration of an entire Essbase instance, for Essbase 12c or higher. In addition to migrating application artifacts, this utility also helps you migrate user role assignments and users/groups from supported identity providers. Download
migrationTools.zip, and see the enclosed README for usage details. The tool supports migration between 19c and 21c, or between 21c instances where both source and target are configured for WebLogic or LDAP security mode (for independent deployments); or configured in IDCS (for OCI deployments). Use the Migration Utility between major versions and between un-patchable releases to ensure database schema integrity after migration. Not supported for use with EPM security mode.