You use the Top Bottom N filter to filter a measure to a subset of its largest (or smallest) values.
You apply top or bottom filters to data elements that are measures. When you add a measure to a filter drop target of a visualization, the default filter type is Range, but you can change the filter type to Top Bottom N from the Filter Type menu option.
You can apply a Top Bottom N filter to either a project canvas (it applies to all visualizations in the project), or to a selected visualization. All of the following steps are optional:
- To apply the Top Bottom N filter to the canvas and all visualizations in the project:
- In the Visualize canvas, select a filter in the filter bar.
- Click the filter menu or right-click and select Filter Type, then click Top Bottom N. You can only convert a range filter to Top Bottom N filter
- To apply the Top Bottom N filter to a specific visualization in the project and update the filtered data on the canvas:
- In the Visualize canvas, select the visualization to which you want to apply the filter.
- In the Grammar Panel go to the Filters drop target.
- Select a measure, then right-click and select Filter Type, then click Top Bottom N.
- To change which filter method is applied, Top or Bottom, in the Top Bottom N list, click the Method value.
- To display a particular number of top or bottom rows, in the Top Bottom N list, click in the Count field and enter the number.
- To change which columns to group by, in the Top Bottom N list, click in the By field, or to display the available columns that you can select from, click Plus (+).
- To deselect any member from the list of attributes, in the Attributes list, click the member that you want to deselect.
- To add a member to the list of attributes, in the Attributes list, click any nonselected member.
- Click outside of the filter to close the filter panel.