This chapter describes the features, enhancements, and changes made to Oracle GoldenGate. Oracle updates the release notes periodically after the software release. This document is accurate at the time of publication.
2.1 Oracle GoldenGate New Features: Initial Release May 2021
- Oracle GoldenGate Microservices Architecture is available with Oracle and heterogeneous databases
Oracle GoldenGate supports the following databases:
Oracle Database 21c
- Oracle GoldenGate is available with Microservices Architecture
- This release of Oracle GoldenGate is available with Microservices Architecture only.
- All Databases
- Parallel Replicat Core Infrastructure Support for Heterogeneous Databases
Parallel Replicat is supported with SQL Server, DB2 z/OS, and MySQL.
- Oracle Database
- Unified Build Support
Oracle GoldenGate uses a single, unified build for capturing from and applying to multiple major Oracle Database versions for supported operating systems by including the latest Oracle database client libraries as part of Oracle GoldenGate.
- Automatic Extract of tables with supplemental logging is supported
- Oracle GoldenGate provides a new
auto_capturemode to capture changes for all the tables that are enabled for logical replication. You can list the tables enabled for auto-capture using the
LIST TABLES AUTO_CAPTUREcommand option. Use the
TRANLOGOPTIONS INTEGRATEDPARAMS auto_captureoption to set up automatic capture.
When this parameter is enabled in Extract, any table that has supplemental logging on it will be automatically captured by Extract and you don't need to add the table as a
TABLEparameter. You can use the new DDL options for
ALTER TABLE ... ENABLE LOGICAL REPLICATIONor
CREATE TABLE ... ENABLE LOGICAL REPLICATIONto add supplemental logging to a table and allow Oracle Goldengate to automatically capture it. This also requires Oracle Database 21c and higher.
- Oracle native JSON datatype is supported
- Oracle GoldenGate capture and apply processes now support the new native JSON datatype, which is supported by Oracle Database 21c and higher.
- Automatic Conflict Detection and Resolution for Oracle Database 21c is available
This feature provides support in Oracle Database 21c and Oracle GoldenGate to enhance Automatic CDR to support:
Earliest timestamp resolution
Delete always win
Site priority resolution
These features can be enabled in the
- Kerberos Authentication is supported
GoldenGate supports external authentication for database login
DBLOGIN) for Kerberos user accounts.
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Key Management Service (OCI KMS) integration is available
Oracle GoldenGate supports integration with the OCI KMS for trail file encryption, which simplifies securing Oracle GoldenGate cloud deployments.
- Autonomous Database Extract is supported
- Oracle GoldenGate can now capture from the Autonomous Databases in OCI. This feature allows capturing data out of specific Autonomous environment in a secure way without allowing access to any other data in that shared environment. For additional details, see Capturing from Pluggable Databases in Using Oracle GoldenGate for Oracle Database.
- Replicat Compatibility Constraint
Replicat compatibility with different trail file formats is ensured using this feature. The Replicat compatibility constraint is associated to the record (LCR) by the primary Extract to restrict certain record to apply by specific version of Replicat in Oracle GoldenGate 21c or higher releases without bumping up the trail file format version. This feature is displayed by the LogDump utility.
- Large DDL (greater than 4 MB) replication is supported
DDLs that are greater than 4 MB in size will be provided replication support.
- Certificate management is available from the Microservices Architecture Web UI
Server certificates and multiple client certificates can be created and manageed from the Servicer Manager in Microservices Architecture web interface. Each deployment has a Certificate Store that holds the server, client certificates, and CA certificates, which are used when setting up a secure communication channels for a deployment.
- Support for multiple client certificates for wss protocol is available
You can now store multiple client certificates in the client wallet and can explicitly specify the type of authentication mechanism to use for the distribution paths and target initiated paths as part of the part specification. From the Oracle GoldenGate Microservices web UI, you can define the authentication mechanisms to be digest authentication (or Basic) and select to use a certificate for authentication.
- DB_UNIQUE_NAME with heartbeat table
DB_UNIQUE_NAMEis available with the heartbeat table to allow users to uniquely identify the source of the heartbeat.
DB_UNIQUE_NAMEwill allow better use of the heartbeat table in active-active environments, where, typically all the replicas have the same
DB_NAMEbut identify each replica site uniquely using the
- DB2 z/OS
- ECSA Storage is reduced when capturing from DB2 z/OS
ECSA storage requirements is reduced by using 64-bit common storage for storing log read buffers .
- DDL replication with remote capture
- Oracle GoldenGate supports DDL replication with remote capture from MySQL 8.0 onwards.
- Capture DDL metadata from BINLOG
Supports capturing DDL and metadata directly from MySQL BINLOG for MySQL version 8.0 and higher.
2.2 Deprecated and Desupported Features and Parameters
This section describes the deprecated and no longer supported features of Oracle GoldenGate.
2.2.1 Release 21c (21.1.0) - Initial Release May 2021
- Oracle Database: Oracle GoldenGate Classic Extract is desupported
- Oracle GoldenGate does not support classic Extract.
- Oracle Database: Oracle GoldenGate Classic Architecture is deprecated
Oracle GoldenGate Classic Architecture for Oracle Database is deprecated and may be desupported and unavailable in a future release. Oracle recommends using the Oracle GoldenGate Microservices Architecture.
- UDT protocol between Distribution Server and Receiver Server has been desupported
In Oracle GoldenGate Microservices Architecture 21c (21.1.0), the UDT protocol that the Distribution Server uses for sending trails files has been desupported.
oggprotocol instead of UDT because this feature will be desupported in the next major Oracle GoldenGate release.
- RMTTASK desupport and deprecation
RMTTASKparameter is desupported for Oracle GoldenGate Microservices Architecture. The parameter has been deprecated for Classic Architecture and will be desupported for Classsic Architecture in future releases.
- NO_OBJECTDEFS and NO_TRAILDEFS parameters are desupported
NO_TRAILDEFSparameters are desupported.
2.3 Default Behavior Changes
This section describes the default behavior changes made to Oracle GoldenGate in relation to the last release.
2.3.1 Release 21c (21.1.0) - Initial Release May 2021
- Oracle GoldenGate binaries are no longer installed on a shared drive
Oracle always recommended installing the Oracle GoldenGate binaries (
OGG_HOME) on a local file system as a best practice. From this release onward, it is a requirement. The binaries must be installed on local drives. For more information refer to MOS note DOC ID 2689857.1.
- Simplified heartbeat administration for Oracle Databases
Heartbeat table administration operations are only be done in the schema of the
GGSCHEMAis now only required for CDB root Extracts.
- Logging of full metadata enabled when upgrading from Oracle GoldenGate 19c to 21c and the database is MySQL 8.0
This change is applicable when upgrading from Oracle GoldenGate 19c to 21c with MySQL 8.0.
- However, for upgrading Oracle GoldenGate 19c to 21c with MySQL 5.7 no change is required.
- Table containing IDENTITY columns with default sequence needs to be created with primary key
For Oracle database, table with identity column needs to be created with primary key, otherwise the Replicat will abend with errors similar to the following:
2020-02-07 08:17:53 ERROR OGG-00516 Fatal error executing DDLreplication: error [Error code , ORA-01430: column being added already exists intable]
- One shiphome supporting all Oracle Database versions
Instant Client 21c is bundled with Oracle GoldenGate. When launching the Oracle GoldenGate executables with Oracle data layer dependency, it is mandatory to go through the bundled instant client connectivity, libraries, and tools..
- Microservices Architecture does not support the management of individual threads for coordinated Replicat
Microservices Architecture does not support the management of individual threads for coordinated Replicat. If you are using individual threads in Classic Architecture and are migrating to MA, you may need to remove those threads before migrations.