Before You Begin
This 15-minute tutorial shows how to create an Application and build a Saved Search by using the WebCenter Content: Imaging application.
An Application is a category into which documents are sorted and a Saved Search is a mechanism by which the documents are retrieved. When you create an Application, you specify a name for it, a repository to store documents, metadata, and most importantly security rights to control the user's access to documents. You create a Saved Search by specifying the Source Application and defining the search criteria. Documents are uploaded by choosing an Application. In this tutorial, you create EBS HR Application, Picklist Search, upload the document 'Offer Letter', and using the Picklist Search page, you search and retrieve the document.
What Do You Need?
- WebCenter Content: Imaging application
- To create an Application, you must have at least one of
these rights: Create rights or Administrator rights
Additionally, you must also have View permission to the connection repository that is used.
- To create a search, you must have at least one of these rights: Administrator, Search Definition Management Security Rights of Create, Search Definition Security Rights of Modify and Delete, Grant Access for the Manage Searches Panel
Create an Application
- Login to the WebCenter Content: Imaging application.
- Click Manage Applications and then Create
The Create Application page appears with a series of tabs: General Properties, Field Definitions, Application Security, Document Security, Storage Policy, Workflow Configuration, and Review Settings. After providing the required information on a tab, click Next to proceed to the subsequent tab.
- In the General Properties tab, specify the following details:
- Application Name: Enter the application
- Repository: Select the Imaging repository
connection that stores the EBS HR Application and related
Imaging leverages multiple instances of Content Server to store documents. The options available in this field are the Imaging repository connections to which the user has access.
This tab lets you add the required fields to the Application. You can add as many fields as required.
- Indexed: Select this check box to enable the repository to create database level indexes to accelerate searching
- Picklist: Add picklist options to the
DOCUMENTTYPE field by clicking and in the Picklist window, enter
the following options one after another:
Reference Check, and
Note: The fields added in the Field Definitions tab are the metadata values that appear for the search in the Saved Search page.
- Modify: The user or group can modify all aspects of the EBS HR Application except for granting the Security Rights to others for the Application
- Delete: The user or group can delete the EBS HR Application
- Grant Access: The user or group can grant security rights to others for the EBS HR Application
- Write: The user group can upload, update, and copy documents and document metadata within the EBS HR Application
- Delete: The user group can delete a specific document from the EBS HR Application
- Grant Access: The user group can assign document rights to other groups
- Lock Admin: The user group can unlock a locked document within the EBS HR Application
- Annotate Standard: The user group can view, create, modify, and delete security rights to annotations within the EBS HR Application, provided the annotations are not Restricted or Hidden
- Annotate Restricted: The user group can mark annotations within the EBS HR Application as Restricted and also create, modify, or delete annotations marked as Restricted by others
- Annotate Hidden: The user group can mark annotations within the EBS HR Application as Hidden and also create, modify, and delete annotations marked as Hidden by others
Note: If the Write access is not provided, the Upload Document tool is unavailable.
Note: A Delete permission automatically assigns the Write permission.
Note: A Grant Access permission automatically assigns the Delete and Write permissions.
Create a Saved Search
- Click Manage Searches and then Create New Search. The Create Search page appears with a series of tabs: Properties, Results Formatting, Conditions, Parameters, Security, Preview and Test, and Review Settings. After providing the required information on a tab, click Next to proceed to the subsequent tab.
- In the Properties tab, enter
Picklist Searchin the Search Name field.
- In the Results Formatting tab, select EBS HR as the source application and then select the following fields: LASTNAME and DOCUMENTTYPE.
- In the Conditions tab, select the following values:
- Field: LASTNAME
- Operator: Begins With
- Conjunction: And
This tab lets you determine how the search parameters should appear to the user. Since the Picklist Search parameters are not mandatory, you need not select the Required check box.
- Modify: The user or group can modify all aspects of the Picklist Search except for granting security rights to other users
- Delete: The user or group can delete the Picklist Search
- Grant Access: The user or group can grant the security rights to other users for the Picklist Search
Notice that the Picklist options that you added when creating the EBS HR Application are available as values in the DOCUMENTTYPE drop-down list.
The Picklist Search that you created is available under Manage Searches.
Upload a Document
- Click Tools and then Upload Document. The Upload Document page appears. Notice that the EBS HR Application is available for selection and also the fields that you specified when creating this Application are available based on the conditions, parameters, and security rights defined while building the Picklist Search.
- Select EBS HR in the Select an Application field.
- Click Choose File and select the 'Offer Letter' document from your local drive.
- Select Offer Letter in the DOCUMENTTYPE field.
- Click Upload.
Note: You can enter the last name of the employee in the LASTNAME field.
Verify Search Results
- Click Searches and then Picklist Search.
- Select Offer Letter in the DOCUMENTTYPE field.
- Click Search.
Notice that the document you uploaded appears in the Search Results section based on the entered search criteria. This indicates that the Picklist Search is functioning as expected.