Disaster recovery is an application and data best practice that protects an organization from the effects of a data center disaster. Having a disaster recovery strategy in place enables an organization to maintain or quickly resume mission-critical systems following a disruption.
The Oracle Cloud VMware Solution provides a disaster recovery solution by using VMware Site Recovery Manager (SRM) with Recovery Time Objective (RTO) and Recovery Point Objective (RPO) values for seamless business continuity. VMware SRM is a disaster recovery and business continuity solution that automates and orchestrates the transfer of virtual machines (VMs) to a local or remote recovery site with a single-click UI option.
Oracle Cloud VMware Solution enables organizations that have a significant investment in VMware infrastructure to take advantage of the benefits of public cloud.
- VMware vSphere ESXi
- VMware vSAN
- VMware vCenter
- VMware NSX-T
Description of the illustration oracle_cloud_vmware_solution_architecture.png
These VMware components are provided to you with full administrative access, which lets you build environments that meet the needs of your organization. Because this is a standard VMware implementation, existing operational practices work on the infrastructure that’s provided as part of the solution.
Review Disaster Recovery Use Cases
Disaster recovery is important for any organization that wants to maintain business continuity when disasters occurs. It ensures rapid recovery of applications, data, and other IT systems critical to business operations. Use VMware SRM with Oracle Cloud VMware Solution to implement an automated, reliable, and flexible disaster recovery solution.
- Business continuity for mission-critical applications when a disaster occurs.
- Recovery from data corruption and cyberattacks.
- Maintenance of systems, hardware, and software without service disruption.
- Backups and restores that meet defined RTO and RPO
- Cost-saving over building and maintaining your own physical infrastructure for disaster recovery.
Understand Oracle Cloud VMware Solution Disaster Recovery
Oracle Cloud VMware Solution uses VMware SRM for the following disaster recovery scenarios:
- From an on-premises data center to Oracle Cloud VMware Solution. This is called Deployment Model 1.
- Between primary and recovery Oracle Cloud VMware Solution sites in two different availability domains in the same region. This is called Deployment Model 2.
- Between primary and recovery Oracle Cloud VMware Solution sites in two different regions. This is called Deployment Model 3.
To complete this solution, select the Deployment Model that suits your scenario.
- SRM for orchestration and automation capabilities, with a single-click feature to run and test the recovery plan
- vSphere replication to replicate data from primary to recovery disaster recovery sites
Review Related Documents
Certain procedures in this Playbook are beyond its scope. To assure completion of this solution, you should first review these additional documents in the Oracle Cloud Infrastructure documentation: