Siebel Anywhere Administration Guide > Supplementary Information for Specific Upgrade Types >
Testing for Upgrade Kit Component Consistency
After you upgrade a Siebel application to a new release, you should check to make sure that version numbering continues across releases for Upgrade Components in each Siebel Anywhere Configuration. Upgrading to a new release of Siebel Business Applications upgrades the Siebel Anywhere table definitions. However, it does not reset the Upgrade Component information for Siebel Anywhere Configurations.
As a result, Siebel Anywhere will resume version checking against the existing component versions in the new release of Siebel Business Applications. If required upgrade kits for Siebel Client Repository File, Siebel Client Customer Revisions, or Siebel CFG File were distributed in the previous release, newly upgraded Production clients may be incorrectly prompted for upgrade kits when they synchronize with the server.
Before upgrading Production users, test the upgrade kit using the Packager Client machine with version checking enabled. Verify that the Packager Client passes version check, so that after the upgrade kit is packaged and distributed, it will function correctly for the remainder of your Production users.
To accomplish this testing, verify that Administrator Client has the latest versions for Siebel Client Repository File_[language-code], Siebel Client Customer Revisions, and Siebel CFG_[language-code] in advance of running the Siebel Packager utility.
The following procedure describes how to test repository components for consistency.
To test repository components for consistency
- Determine the current version values of your repository components by completing the following substeps:
- In your production Siebel environment, navigate to Administration - Siebel Anywhere > Upgrade Component List.
- Use standard query techniques to select your server and client repository components.
- Determine the current value of your repository components by inspecting their Min Version values. A blank Min Version field indicates a value of zero.
- Use a computer and a login account that have read/write access to the location of the repository file you want to check, and open a command window.
- Make sure that the repository file you want to check is not currently in use.
You may need to exit from any Siebel application that is using the repository.
- In the command window, navigate to the directory where the srfstamp utility is located, as follows:
- If you are using a server computer, navigate to SIEBEL_ROOT\bin, where SIEBEL_ROOT is the root directory for your Siebel Server software.
- If you are using a client computer, navigate to SIEBEL_CLIENT_ROOT\bin, where SIEBEL_CLIENT_ROOT is the root directory for your Siebel Mobile Web Client or Siebel Developer Web Client software.
- Enter the following command, where repository_file_name is the complete path and file name of your repository file, and language-code indicates the language for which this repository is used:
srfstamp /r repository_file_name /l language-code
After a brief pause, the current version number of the specified repository file is displayed.
- Compare the version displayed by srfstamp to the component version you obtained in Step 1 of this procedure.
- If you want to change the version number of the specified repository file (for example, to use your current repository version number for a new repository file during a major upgrade), enter the following command:
srfstamp /w repository_file_name /v new_version_number /l language-code
The following procedure describes how to test for Siebel Client Customer Revisions component consistency.
To test Siebel Client Customer Revisions component consistency
- Copy the clntrev.cfg file from one of your previous release Production Clients to the SIEBEL_CLNT_ROOT\bin directory of the Administrator Client.
The following procedure describes how to test for Siebel CFG File component consistency.
To test Siebel CFG file component consistency
- Edit the appropriate CFG file under SIEBEL_CLNT_ROOT\bin\[language-code] and increment the Version parameter in the [Siebel] section to the Maximum Version of the Upgrade Component Siebel Call Center CFG for the previous release.
Test with the Administrator Client until this client passes version check. Run the Siebel Packager Utility to create the custom installer. Distribute the custom installer through Siebel Anywhere (as described in the Upgrade Guide), or through a shared network location.