Siebel Content Publishing Guide > Microsite Management >
About Microsite Management
Many companies have multiple content managers whose responsibilities include adding and modifying data on Web pages. The layout and maintenance of data and hypertext links must be done as efficiently as possible, without requiring IT resources. The Microsite Management module is designed to simplify creation and maintenance of Web pages. Everything from site organization and creation of new pages through to editing text and graphics is carried out from the Microsite Management screen.
Unstructured and Structured Content Definitions
Both structured and unstructured page items can be included on pages created within the Microsite Management module:
- Unstructured Content. Such as HTML files, graphics, and links to documents. Unstructured content can be authored in a variety of environments, including Microsoft FrontPage, PowerPoint, and Word and the integrated HTML editor within the Siebel applications. Placement of unstructured content on pages is carried out using Page Designer in the Microsite Manager screen.
- Structured Content. Such as product catalogs and lists of opportunities. In general, structured content is authored in the Siebel application environment. Placement of structured content on pages is carried out in Siebel Tools, by editing applets on views.
Key features of Microsite Management are:
- Page Administrator Explorer Tree. Gives a hierarchically organized view of all the pages in your Web site.
- Page Designer. A graphical drag-and-drop page layout tool that allows page designers and content managers to create different types of content anywhere on a page.
- Preview. Allows you to preview pages according to content status (for example, approved or draft) and according to release and expiration dates.
- Templates. Grouped page items (unstructured items) that can be placed on multiple pages and updated for all pages at once.
- Access Control. Is set at both the page and page item level so you can control which access groups can see and edit content.
- Transparent Integration with Content Center. Allows setting up and routing the tasks of creating, editing, and approving with Siebel Content Center. When a link to a file is added to a page, that file is added to the Siebel content repository as a content asset, and can be version-controlled with Content Center. For more information, see Content Center.
- One-Click Publishing. Publishes directly from the Microsite Management screen, creating a content project and automatically approving the page content.
- Usage Collection. Ability to monitor users' visits to microsite pages. For more information, see Usage Collection.
The Page Designer and the Finished Page
Figure 2 and Figure 4 show the relationship between a finished page and Microsite Management's Page Designer layout tool that was used to create the page. The content on the page is indicated by page item icons in Page Designer. The areas of the page, such as the navigation bar, are indicated schematically in Page Designer.
If you prefer, you can revert to the older style of navigation bar (shown in Figure 3). See Changing the Navigation Bar Style in Microsite Pages.
Figure 3. Older Style Navigation Bar with Blue Border
Figure 4. The Page Layout Schematic of the Microsite Page in Page Designer
About Microsite Management and Standard Activity Mode
Microsite pages can be viewed in both standard and high interactivity mode. But, high interactivity mode is required to create and administer microsite pages.