Siebel System Administration Guide > Siebel Enterprise Server Architecture > About Siebel Server >
About Siebel Server Manager
The Siebel Server Manager is the native management and administration interface for the Siebel Server and Siebel Enterprise Server.
The Siebel Server Manager allows you to configure the parameters governing the operation of each component, and determine which Siebel Servers a given component can operate. Use the Siebel Server Manager to:
- Start, stop, pause, and resume Siebel Servers, components, and tasks
- Monitor the status and collect statistics across the Siebel Enterprise Server, Siebel Servers, components, and tasks
- Manage the configuration of the Siebel Enterprise Server, Siebel Servers, components, and tasks
You can operate the Server Manager using one of two interfaces:
- Graphical user interface, or GUI, by using the Server Administration views in the Siebel application client.
Use the Server Manager GUI for most administrative duties because it includes greater user interface functionality (including the ability to search for and sort various fields within views) and a more intuitive view into the operation of Siebel Servers than does the command-line interface.
- Command-line interface, or the srvrmgr program.
Use the command-line interface for batch-mode processing, because it can run from batch scripts by invoking script files with administration commands that need to run on a regular basis.
The Server Manager (both the GUI and the command-line interface) connects to the Siebel Gateway Name Server, which contains availability and connectivity information for the Siebel Servers within the Siebel Enterprise Server. The Server Manager then connects with each of the Siebel Servers and starts a Server Manager component task.
If you access the GUI, Server Manager creates a task on every running Siebel Server; if you access the command-line interface without specifying a specific Siebel Server, Server Manager creates a task on every running Siebel Server; and if you start the command-line interface while specifying a specific Siebel Server (using the /s flag), Server Manager creates a task on that specific Siebel Server alone, and all commands are targeted to that Siebel Server at the server level.
The Server Manager task on each Siebel Server:
- Handles administration commands from the Server Manager
- Executes requested functions
- Returns each operation's results to the Server Manager
NOTE: Each session of Server Manager creates a separate Server Manager task. Therefore, you create a new Server Manager task each time you access the Server Administration screens.