Implementing Siebel eBusiness Applications on DB2 UDB for z/OS and OS/390 > Maintenance Considerations for zSeries > About Siebel Dynamic SQL >
About Spooling SQL Within the Siebel Application
Spooling with the Siebel application can help in the following ways:
- To enable the SQL statement being executed to be identified when an SQL error code is returned.
- It can be used to assess the time take by the various SQL statements when performance issues are encountered.
- When data appears to be missing from a view, the SQL used to retrieve that data can be identified.
This can then be run manually, either from the midtier machine, for example using the DB2 Command Center, or on the z/OS, for example using tools such as SPUFI, to see exactly what data is being returned.
To minimize the amount of SQL tracing produced, and therefore, the size of the log files, it is best to limit the tests to the minimum number of screen changes needed to allow the issue to be reproduced.
Generally, it is easier to spool SQL on a dedicated client as you will have more control over the testing. This makes it easier to minimize the amount of SQL traced.
Turning on SQL Spooling for the Object Manager and the Database Connector
Component event logging can be turned on for the Dedicated and Mobile Web Clients and the server component. Within this category, you can spool the SQL generated by the Siebel object manager and by the database connector. You can have either the object manager spooling or the SQL spooling, but not both as the amount of data will be confusing.
To turn on SQL spooling for the object manager
- To turn on SQL spooling for the object manager, set the component event Object Manager SQL Log to 4.
To turn on SQL spooling for the database connector
- To turn on SQL spooling for the database connector, set the component event SQL Parse and Execute to 5.
For some components, the SQL Profiling event can be used to find the worst performing queries.
For dedicated clients, you can also set these component events as environment variables. They work in addition to the /s spooling options.