Product Administration Guide > Customizable Product Links >
Creating a Business Component Link
A business component link lets you extract information from Siebel business components and use it to write rules.
To create a business component link you must know the business component name and field name containing the information you want to extract.
You must select and lock a customizable product before creating a link. When you create a link, it is automatically added to a picklist. You can then add the link to other customizable products by selecting it from the picklist.
When you create a link, it is added to a dialog box. You can copy this link definition to other customizable products and edit the link as needed. In turn, the edited link is added to the dialog box. When you remove a link from a customizable product, it is removed from the dialog box.
The following fields are mandatory:
- Name. You can enter a link name, or pick an already-defined link from a dialog box by clicking in the field. This is the name the user sees in selection pages during a configuration session.
- BusObj Name. This field specifies the business object in which the business component resides.
- BusComp Name. You can enter a business component name, or pick a business component from a dialog box by clicking in the field.
- BusComp Field Name. You can enter a field name, or pick a field from a dialog box by clicking in the field. The dialog box displays the fields of the business component in BusComp Field Name.
- Needs Execution. Place a check mark in this field if you do NOT want the retrieved data to be session-related.
The following fields are highly recommended:
- Search Spec
- Sort Spec
- Default Value
Leave the Keyword field blank.
To create a business component link
- Navigate to Product Administration.
- Select and lock the desired customizable product.
- In the Configuration Designer drop-down menu, select Link Designer.
The Link Designer appears. This list contains all the links defined for the product.
- In the Link Designer, click New.
A new record appears.
- Complete the fields in the record.
For those fields with a picklist dialog box, you can search a list of available choices and make a selection. When you specify a business object, the BusComp Name dialog box displays only the business object's business components.
To use an already-existing definition, click in the Name field and select the desired link definition from the dialog box.
- If you do not want the information retrieved to be session-related, click the Needs Execution check box in the form.
- Save the record.