Product Administration Guide > Customizable Product Links >
Creating a System Variable Link
A system variable link lets you obtain the value of the following system variables and use it to write rules:
- TODAY. Provides the system date. The data type is Date and can be used for date computations.
- WHO. Provides the user's login name. The data type is Text.
You must select and lock a customizable product before creating a link. When you create a link, it is automatically added to a picklist. You can then add the link to other customizable products by selecting it from the picklist.
When you create a link, it is added to a dialog box. You can copy this link definition to other customizable products and edit the link as needed. In turn, the edited link is added to the dialog box. When you remove a link from a customizable product, it is removed from the dialog box.
The following fields are mandatory:
The Description field is recommended. Leave all other fields blank.
To create a system variable link
- Navigate to Product Administration.
- Select and lock the desired customizable product.
- In the Configuration Designer drop-down menu, select Link Designer.
The Link Designer appears. This list contains all the links defined for the product.
- In the Link Designer, click New.
A new record appears.
- In the Key Word drop-down menu, click TODAY or WHO.
- Enter a name in the Name field and a brief description in the Description field.
To use an already-existing definition, click in the Name field and select the desired link definition from the dialog box.
- Save the record.