Siebel Pharma Handheld Guide > Deploying Siebel Handheld Applications >
Providing Synchronization Security with Secure Sockets Layer
The synchronization data stream can be secured using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL). To employ SSL security:
- Make sure that a certificate has been created and installed on all Web Servers that service synchronization in Handheld applications.
Use the following steps to install the root certificate on each handheld device.
NOTE: PPC 2002 and PPC 2003 do not have a hosts file similar to the Windows Operation System (for example,
C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\hosts.file), where you can set up mappings for the IP address and host name.
To install the root certificate on the handheld device running PPC 2003 or newer
- Navigate to the certificate authority server from your desktop computer.
- Select the first option (retrieve the CA certificate or certificate revocation list), and click Next.
- Click on Download CA certificate.
- Click Save, and save as certca.cer on your desktop.
- Use ActiveSync to copy the downloaded certificate, certca.cer, from the desktop to the My Documents folder on the handheld device.
NOTE: Make sure the certca.cer file is copied into the My Documents folder.
- Go to My Documents and tap the certificate icon.
The certificate must be installed. You can validate it by going to Settings > System > Certificate.
- Click the Root tab.
The new certificate is displayed on the list.
- Open a browser, and run the following command, substituting the appropriate server name, application name, UserName and Password.
https://<SERVERNAME>/<APPLICATION NAME>/start.swe?SWEExtSource=siebelpda&SWEExtCmd=ExecuteLogin&UserName=<USER LOGIN>&Password=<PASSWORD>
- When a dialog box appears, click Yes.
To complete root certificate installation on PPC 2002 device
- From a Web browser, navigate to the Microsoft Web site and download and launch the following executable file:
- Double-click to open the executable file.
A list of certificates appears.
Information for the
certca.cer Certificate appears.
- Click Install Certificate.
- Following successful installation, click OK.