Siebel Performance Tuning Guide > Tuning Siebel Configurator > About Siebel Configurator Caching >
Cache Management for Siebel Configurator
This topic is part of About Siebel Configurator Caching.
When a user starts a configuration session, Siebel Configurator loads the requested customizable product into memory. You can specify a cache (server or component) to serve requests for frequently requested customizable products to improve response times. This requires that you select the setting Explicit Product Mappings Only on the specified cache. The specified cache loads the customizable products that are mapped to it into memory before any user requests are received.
You can also specify a time interval so that the specified cache updates the customizable products it holds at regular intervals. This reduces the possibility that a user request requires the retrieval of data from the database and the loading of a revised customizable product. To specify the time interval, you set values for the following parameters on the eProdCfgObjMgr component:
- Server Session Loop Sleep Time (alias ServerSessionLoopSleepTime)
- Product Configurator - Cache Engine Objects (alias eProdCfgCacheEngineObjects)
For more information on these parameters, see Table 6.
Requests for other customizable products that are not mapped to a specific cache are served by a cache that has the setting Explicit Product Mappings Only disabled.
The following procedure describes how to configure product caching by mapping a product to a cache that has the setting Explicit Product Mappings Only enabled.
To configure product caching
- Navigate to the Administration - Product screen, then the Cache Administration view.
The Cache Administration view appears.
- In the Cache applet, select a cache.
NOTE: Only one cache can be active at a time.
- In the Cache Type field, select a value as described in the following list:
- Server. Select Server as the cache type to route configuration requests to the Siebel Servers associated with the cache.
- Component. Select Component as the cache type to route configuration requests to the components associated with the cache. These components can span multiple Siebel Servers depending on where components are active.
NOTE: If you select Component as the cache type, then you must set the same value for the component parameter Enable internal load balancing (alias EnableVirtualHosts) on both the Siebel Application Object Manager and on the eProdCfgObjMgr component. For example, if EnableVirtualHosts is set to TRUE on the Siebel Application Object Manager component, then it must also be set to TRUE on the eProdCfgObjMgr component.
- In the Components applet, specify a Siebel Server name or a component name to associate with the cache that you selected in Step 2.
The value that you specify depends on the value that you selected for Cache Type in Step 2. For example, if you set Cache Type equal to Server, then you enter the name of a Siebel Server. If you set Cache Type equal to Component, then you enter the name the name of a component.
- If you want a server cache or component cache to only serve products that are mapped to that server cache or component cache, then select Explicit Product Mappings Only.
- In the Product applet, select the product(s) that you want to associate with the component that you selected in Step 4.
- In the Cache applet, click Validate.
The application validates that the Siebel Server or component names that you select are valid for the cache type that you specified.
- If the configuration that you created validates correctly, then click Release to enable the cache that you selected cache instances of the products that are mapped to it.