Siebel Installation Guide for UNIX > Installing Siebel Charts >
Configuring Siebel Charts
When you configure the Siebel Enterprise, you are prompted to set certain parameters related to communications with the Siebel Charts server (NetCharts).
For instructions on installing and configuring the Siebel Enterprise, see Installing Siebel Enterprise Server Components and the Siebel Web Server Extension and Configuring Siebel Enterprise Server Components and the Siebel Web Server Extension.
After installing Siebel Charts software, you must configure the Siebel Charts server, regardless of your UNIX operating system.
To configure Siebel Charts
- Navigate to your installation directory for Siebel Charts; for example:
- Create a new subdirectory called
- In the
Siebel.chart subdirectory, create a new file, using vi, and type the following three characters in uppercase but without a carriage return:
- Save the file as Siebel.cdx.
- Specify a default font to be used by NetCharts if no font is defined for a chart or if the font defined for the chart is not available on the server computer.
Make sure that the DefaultChartFont parameter in your configuration file and the Application Default Chart Font parameter for your Application Object Manager component are set to a font that is available on your computer. For some example font names, see Siebel Global Deployment Guide.
NOTE: The NetCharts Server console provides tools that you can use to validate specific fonts on your system, including any extension fonts that you might have loaded. From the Examples link in the console, you can choose either Font Selection or I18N. Under Font Selection, you can select your custom fonts, and specify any font to populate the text areas of your charts. Similarly, under I18N, you can display the full map of characters available to the server. For each character that is unavailable in a given font, a square box is displayed instead of the character.
- If you are deploying Siebel Charts for use with languages other than U.S. English, then, in order to display translated messages and to display chart text correctly (such as in the X and Y axis), you must make the following change in the server.xml file provided with the NetCharts Server:
- Navigate to the following subdirectory in your NetCharts Server installation directory; for example:
- Open the file server.xml using a suitable editor.
- In the section of the file with the tag <Parameter Name="Encoding">, change the Value parameter from "" (null) to "UTF-8", so the section resembles the following:
<Parameter Name="Encoding" Value="UTF-8" Description="Sets the encoding used for String to byte conversions. Unless you require a specific encoding other than the platform default, leave this property disabled." Disabled="true"/>
- Save the file.
An error occurred while sending a request to the chart server
nohup ./NetChartsServerControl start) to start the NetCharts Server prevents the NetCharts Server process from being killed when the account owner logs off.