|A P P E N D I X C|
Use the procedures in this chapter to install trays in a standard Telco rack. (You can use the existing universal rack kit and procedures to install the Sun StorageTek 6140 array in a four-post Telco rack.) The number of trays you need to install depends on your overall storage requirements. You can install a maximum of eight, one controller tray and up to seven expansion trays, in a third-party Telco rack.
This chapter describes the process of installing Sun StorEdge 6140 trays. It contains the following sections:
The installation procedures in this chapter require the following items:
Caution - Electrostatic discharge can damage sensitive components. Touching the array or its components without using a proper ground might damage the equipment. To avoid damage, use proper antistatic protection before handling any components.
Install the rack as described in the installation instructions provided by the manufacturer.
Note - Sun Microsystems makes no warranties or guaranties as to fit, form, or function of the Sun StorEdge 6140 array installed in third-party racks or cabinets. It is the customer's responsibility to ensure that the rack or cabinet can house the Sun StorEdge 6140 array in all conditions that may exist. All racks and cabinets must comply with local building and construction codes.
Populating a rack with trays starting from the bottom and moving up distributes the weight correctly in the cabinet.
This procedure describes how to attach the rackmount rail kit to a Telco 2-post frame. You can use rack rails with a depth of 3-to-6 inches.
You will mount each tray with its horizontal center aligned with the frame of the Telco 2-post rack.
1. Loosely adjust the rail length to accommodate the length of the array.
1. Insert four (12-24 or 10-32) screws (one in each post side) in the front and back mounting holes of the right and left posts (FIGURE C-1). Do not tighten at this time.
Use the lowest available mounting hole at the bottom of each post that can be aligned with the top mount slot on the rail. The mount slot allows the rail to hang over the screw. Make sure that all four screws are aligned and mounted at the same height.
FIGURE C-1 Inserting Screws in the Front and Back Mounting Holes
2. Align the open slot of the left mounting rail over the front and back screws of the left post, and press the rail down until it is seated over the screws (FIGURE C-2). Repeat for the right rail.
FIGURE C-2 Seating the Mounting Rails Over the Front and Back Screws
3. Insert eight more (12-24 or 10-32) screws (two in each post side) in the lower mounting holes at the front and back of the left and right rails (FIGURE C-3).
FIGURE C-3 Inserting Screws in the Lower Mounting Holes
4. Using the #3 Phillips screwdriver, tighten all twelve screws (three on each side of a post) at the front and back of both mounting rails to secure each rail to its post (FIGURE C-3).
When installing a tray in a Telco 2-post rack, follow these instructions:
1. Unsnap and remove the left and right end caps on the tray to permit access to the screw mounting holes (FIGURE C-4).
FIGURE C-4 Removing the End Caps on the Tray
2. Using two people, one at each side of the tray, carefully lift and rest the tray on the bottom ledge of the left and right rails (FIGURE C-5).
FIGURE C-5 Positioning the Tray in the Rack
3. Carefully slide the tray onto the mounting rails until the front bezel of the tray contacts the rail flange on each side (FIGURE C-6).
FIGURE C-6 Sliding the Tray Into the Rack
4. Use the #2 Phillips screwdriver to insert and tighten four 10-32 x 1/2 " screws, washers, and nuts (two each per side) to secure the tray to the front of the rack (FIGURE C-7).
FIGURE C-7 Securing the Tray to the Front of the Rack
5. Replace the left and right end caps to hide the front mounting screws.
The end caps snap onto the front bezel of the tray.
6. At the back of the tray, make a final adjustment to the rail lengths to align the back mounting points (FIGURE C-8) on the rail and array.
7. At the back of the
tray, use the flathead screwdriver to install and tighten two
6-32 flat-head screws (one per side) through the back mounting points (FIGURE C-8).
FIGURE C-8 Securing the Tray to the Back of the Rack
8. Tighten the four10-32 locknuts (two on each rail) on each rail extension to secure the rail length.
FIGURE C-9 Tightening the Locknuts on the Rail Extension.