Defining a PTO Accrual Plan
Use the Accrual Plan window to define an accrual plan.
Before setting up the plan, set up a way to track absences taken under the plan. To do this you define and link an element for recording accrued time taken under this plan, and optionally, associate this element with absence type information.
To define a PTO accrual plan:
1. Enter the plan name, and select an accrual category of either Sick or Vacation for it.
Suggestion: Coordinate the names of the accrual plan, the plan's absence type if any, and the element used to record absences taken under the plan. For example, for the Hrly Vacation PTO Plan for your hourly workers, you could name the absence type and its element Hrly Vacation PTO Absence.
2. Select the start rule for the plan in the Accrual Start field. This rule determines the date on which a plan participant begins to accrue PTO.
3. Select Days or Hours in the Accrual Units field. This selection must accord with the input value units selected for the element that records accrued time taken under this plan.
4. In the Name field of the Absence Information region, select the element associated with the plan's absence type. The name of the element's input value that holds the entries or hours or days absent appears in the Units field.
5. If the start rule for this plan is Hire Date or Beginning of Year you can enter a period of ineligibility, during which a plan participant can accrue PTO but cannot use accrued PTO. For example, enter 3 in the Length field and select Calendar Month in the next field.
6. Save your work, and then set up length of service bands for the plan. Choose the Accrual Bands button to go to the Accrual Bands window.
Choose the Net Calculation Rules button to view or change the rules for calculating employees' net PTO.
Setting Up Length of Service Bands
Reviewing or Changing Net Accrual Calculations