Siebel Anywhere Administration Guide > Retrieving, Installing, and Testing Upgrade Kits >
Uninstalling Siebel Maintenance Releases or Patches
Occasionally, as part of testing, troubleshooting, or as preparation before installing a new release, you may want to uninstall the client files associated with a Siebel Maintenance Release or patch. Depending on what you want to accomplish, different techniques are required for successful uninstallation. The following paragraphs describe these variations.
Uninstalling a Patch Before Installing a Complete Release
Before installing the client files for a complete Siebel Release, such as version 7.8, it is appropriate to uninstall the client files for the previous base release and all Maintenance Releases and patches that have been applied to that base release. You can do this by selecting "Uninstall previous Siebel Version" when you create the Siebel Client Executables upgrade kit for the new release. For more information about creating a Siebel Client Executables kit, see Defining a Siebel Client Executables Upgrade Kit.
Uninstalling a Patch but Retaining Previous Patches and Base Release
As part of testing or troubleshooting, sometimes you may want to uninstall a single Maintenance Release or patch, while leaving previous Maintenance Releases or patches and the underlying base release intact. For example, you might want to remove version 7.7.2, but retain version 7.7.0 and version 7.7.1.
Before uninstalling a single Maintenance Release or patch, you must determine whether the Maintenance Release or patch that you want to remove was installed as a standard patch or a delta patch:
- A standard patch meets any one of the following criteria:
- The version of the software is earlier than version 7.7.2, or
- The software was installed directly from a Siebel software distribution, or
- The software was installed using a Siebel Anywhere upgrade kit of type Siebel Client Executables with Select Type of Installation set to Standard Install.
- A delta patch is software that was installed using a Siebel Anywhere upgrade kit of type Siebel Client Executables with Select Type of Installation set to Delta Install.
If necessary, consult your Siebel administrator for information about how the software was installed. Then use the appropriate uninstallation method described in the following paragraphs.
The following procedure describes how to uninstall a standard patch.
To remove a standard patch but retain previous patches and base release
- Use the Windows Add/Remove Programs Control Panel to select and uninstall the standard patch.
The following procedure describes how to uninstall a delta patch.
To remove a delta patch but retain previous patches and base release
- Locate the following directories in the existing client installation that contains the software you want to uninstall:
- $SiebelRoot\PATCHBACKUP_BASE, where $SiebelRoot is the root directory of the client installation. (For example, the directory might be called D:\seaw\PATCHBACKUP_BASE.)
- $SiebelRoot\PATCHBACKUP_$Language, where $SiebelRoot is the root directory of the client installation and $Language is the code for each language that is used in the client installation. (For example, the directory might be called D:\seaw\PATCHBACKUP_ENU for United States English.)
- In each of the directories that you located in Step 1, rename the file unpatch.bak to unpatch.bat, and then execute unpatch.bat.
NOTE: Note: The unpatch.bat files can be executed from the various directories in any order.