Siebel Installation Guide for UNIX: Servers, Mobile Web Clients, Tools > Installing the Siebel Web Server Extension >
SWSE Installation Requirements
Before installing the SWSE, review the requirements listed in this section.
CAUTION: Do not install Siebel Business Applications without first reviewing System Requirements and Supported Platforms on Siebel SupportWeb.
- Review the issues described in Managing Temporary Disk Space Required by Installers. For example, make sure you have adequate disk space, and make sure the login ID running the installer has write permissions to this directory.
- You must have installed a supported Web server as identified in System Requirements and Supported Platforms on Siebel SupportWeb for the current release.
Make sure that the Web server machine on which you will install the SWSE meets all the hardware and software platform requirements documented in System Requirements and Supported Platforms on Siebel SupportWeb.
NOTE: Take note of the port number for the Web server. If you are using a nondefault port number, you will need to modify the httpd.conf file to reflect the correct port number. For details, see Editing the httpd.conf File on IBM HTTP Server and HP Apache Web Server.
- You must have installed all key Siebel Enterprise Server components, including the Siebel Gateway Name Server, at least one Siebel Server, and the Siebel Database Server. Application Object Manager components must be enabled for the Siebel applications you purchased.
For information about enabling server components, see the Siebel System Administration Guide.
NOTE: Wait to install additional Siebel Servers until after you have completed installation of the SWSE software and verified the connection from the Web server to the initial Siebel Server.
- You can deploy multiple Language Packs on one Web server and one SWSE instance. The Siebel Server and the Web server do not need to be operated in the same language. However, your Siebel Server, your Web server, and all other server components must use the same character set. For more information, see the Global Deployment Guide.
- At least one SWSE is required for each Siebel Enterprise Server.
- If you will be using Siebel load balancing, you must generate the load-balancing configuration file (lbconfig.txt) before installing the SWSE. The SWSE Configuration Wizard updates the load-balancing virtual host definitions and routing URLs in this file.
For more information, see Managing Load Balancing for Siebel Applications. See also the Siebel System Administration Guide.
- If you will not require side-by-side installations of the same or different versions of SWSE on the same machine, it is generally advisable to uninstall a previous version of SWSE before installing the current version. Doing so ensures that virtual directories you create for your applications will not conflict with those for prior versions.
- If you will require side-by-side installations of the same or different versions of SWSE on the same machine, which may be helpful in some upgrade scenarios or for development or testing purposes, you must read Technical Note 456 on Siebel SupportWeb before you install SWSE. See also Installing Multiple Instances of Siebel Business Applications.
Installing multiple instances of SWSE on the same machine (sometimes referred to as binary coexistence) requires taking steps to ensure unique virtual directory names for your applications. You must create the virtual directories, following the processes described in Technical Note 456, before you install the new instance of SWSE.
In addition, note the following operating system and Web server platform considerations:
- Sun Solaris. You can install multiple instances (virtual server instances) of the Sun Java System Web Server on the same machine, and install different instances of SWSE to run against each Web server instance. Each instance uses a different port.
- UNIX platforms using Apache-based Web servers. You can install multiple instances of the Web server on the same machine. However, you can install only a single instance of SWSE on this machine.
- Microsoft platforms using IIS. You can install only a single instance of the Web server on the same machine. You can install different instances of SWSE on this machine, but you cannot run multiple instances of SWSE simultaneously, unless you configure them to run in separate memory spaces.
For details, see Technical Note 456 on Siebel SupportWeb.
NOTE: Scalability and performance implications should be taken into consideration when running multiple instances of SWSE on a single Web server.