Siebel Reports Guide > Customizing Siebel CRM Reports > Process of Creating Custom Reports >
Creating Report Templates
This topic describes how to use Oracle BI Publisher Desktop to create a report template. For more information, see About Oracle BI Publisher Desktop.
This task is a step in Process of Creating Custom Reports.
To create report templates
- Determine if you can use a predefined report template.
It is recommended that you create a new report template only if no predefined report template meets your report layout requirements. The following are some examples of when you can use a predefined template:
- You can add new fields to an existing report template.
- Differences between your new report and an existing report are minor.
- You require multiple versions of the same report where each version displays slightly different data to different users.
The following are some situations where you must create a new report template:
- The report requires a new integration object.
- The report requires a new integration component. For example, you create a new report for a view that references the same business object.
For more information, see How Siebel Reports Uses Integration Objects.
- Install Oracle BI Publisher Desktop.
For detailed information about installing Oracle BI Publisher Desktop and creating a report template, see Oracle Business Intelligence Publisher Report Designer's Guide in the Oracle Business Intelligence Publisher Documentation Library 10.1.3.4 available on Oracle Technology Network (http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/indexes/documentation/index.html). Siebel CRM does not support all features that the Oracle Business Intelligence Publisher documentation describes. It only supports features that this guide describes.
- Start Microsoft Word.
- Choose the Oracle BI Publisher menu, Data, and then the Load Sample XML Data menu item.
- In the Select XML Data window, choose an XML data file.
XML data files reside in the following folder on the Siebel Server:
For more information, see Directory Structure That Siebel Reports Uses.
- Use the Template Wizard to define the report template:
- In the Microsoft Word toolbar, choose Insert, Table/Form, and then Wizard.
- In the Template Wizard, choose one of the following report formats, and then click Next:
- (Optional) Change the XML data group, and then click Next.
- Choose the Siebel fields that the report must display, and then click Next.
- If the report must display data in Table format, then specify the group and sort requirements, and then click Next.
- Add labels for the fields that the report displays, and then click Finish.
- Save the report template in RTF format.
Siebel CRM creates the following files in the Siebel File System:
- The RTF file for the report template and the XLIFF files for a connected client
- The XSL and XLIFF files for a disconnected client
- Preview the report template:
- In Microsoft Word, open the template file.
Siebel CRM stores the template files in the following folder:
- Choose the Oracle BI Publisher menu, Preview Template, and then choose the output file format.
Siebel CRM displays the report in the format that you choose.
- Preview different output file formats.
- Copy the report template files to the Siebel Server:
- If you are using a disconnected client, then copy the following files from this client to the Siebel Server:
- Copy Report template files that are in RTF format (.rtf) to the
- Copy XLIFF (.xlf) files to the
- If you are using a connected client, then save the template file in RTF format, and then copy this RTF file to the Siebel Server in the following folder:
Make sure you do not include any special characters in the report name. For more information about these folders, see Directory Structure That Siebel Reports Uses.