Siebel Email Administration Guide > Configuring Communications Templates > Fields for Template Items >
Fields for the Template Item Form
The following fields are available in the Template Item form.
Template Item Commands
The following fields are grouped under Template Item Commands:
- Substitute Values. Select this option to enable value substitution for the template item. For more information, see the descriptions for the Available Fields list and for the Iteration Child Business Component field.
- Message Body. Select this option to specify that the template item content is used in the message body of the template message.
Multiple plain-text or HTML template items marked for the message body are concatenated into a single message body for each of these types, in the sequence that their sequence numbers determines. For more information, see the description for the Sequence field in this chapter.
NOTE: For a fax template, specify HTML template items as attachments only. Do not specify HTML template items for the message body.
If a template item is part of the message body, then it must be either a plain-text or HTML file. Communications Outbound Manager uses the file extension to distinguish if a template item file is in HTML format. Any file with an extension containing htm (such as .HTM, .HTML, or .SHTML) is recognized as an HTML file.
The setting of the HTML Template check box also determines how HTML template items are handled. For more information, see Fields for Templates.
You can specify a file or literature item, for which values are substituted using business component fields, for the message body or as an attachment. (When you specify a file or literature item for the message body, files or literature items must be plain-text or HTML files only; other file types are not supported and might produce unacceptable results.)
If Message Body check box is not selected, then the current template item is an attachment to the message, and the template item uses the label you specify in the Attachment Label field.
For templates of the Fax channel type, any template items you do not specify for the message body are subject to the support of the sending fax server. Some fax servers support only certain types of attachments; some fax servers might not support any attachments.
For templates of Wireless Messaging channel type, any template items you do not specify for the message body are ignored.
For templates of e Pager channel type, any template that has one or more template items that you do not specify for the message body is not sent.
Pick Available Substitutions
The following fields are grouped under Pick Available Substitutions:
- Iteration Child Business Component. Select the name of a business component from which you want to include record data.
The available business components you can specify are direct children of the recipient source business object for the Recipient Group.
NOTE: In the source business object, any business component that you want to specify in the Iteration Child Business Component field must have a link in which the parent business component is the primary business component on the business object.
If the Substitute Values check box is selected, and you specify a child business component, then the template item is appended to the message body or attachment once for each record in the child business component, in iterative fashion. Business component field values are substituted for each record.
A template item can include fields from the child business component for which values are substituted. The Template Item form displays the available substitutions.
For example, if you target a template to Account Team Members, and you want to include a list of opportunities for the account, then you can choose Opportunity as the iteration child business component for a template item.
If the file or literature item for the template item includes any of the field names in the Available Fields list, then the values for these fields, for all opportunities that are children of the account, are included in the message body or attachment. In this example, values for opportunity name and expected revenue figures might be substituted.
- Available Fields. Displays the business component fields that are valid for substitution. You can use the Available Fields list for reference, or copy and paste such fields into a template file or literature item that you use for the template item.
The fields in the Available Fields list come from one of the following sources:
- The recipient business component for the Recipient Group (such as Contact, for Account Contacts), or the primary business component in the recipient source business object (such as Account, for Account Contacts). The business component name, followed by a period, prefaces the fields for the primary business component. These business component fields appear in the Available Fields list if the Iteration Child Business Component field is empty.
- The business component in the Iteration Child Business Component field that represents a child (such as Account Note) of the recipient source business object (such as Account). The business component name, followed by a period, prefaces the fields for the iteration child business component.
All substitution fields must be enclosed in brackets ([ ]) in the template item file or literature item.
Note the following examples:
- Available substitution fields for the Account recipient group (for a simple template) include [Account.Name], [Account.Last Name], [Account.Location], and so on, from the Account business component, which is the primary business component for the Account business object.
- Available substitution fields for the Account Contacts recipient group (advanced template) include:
- [Last Name], [City] and so on, from the Contact business component
- [Account.Name], [Account.Last Name], [Account.Location], and so on, from the Account business component
- Available substitution fields for the Account Note iteration child business component include [Note], [Note Type], and so on, from the Note business component.
NOTE: For an HTML template (HTML text in the Text field) or an HTML template item, make sure that the enclosing brackets and text of any substitution field text do not include any tagging changes. For example, do not change from bold to regular text in the enclosing brackets of a substitution field. Doing so might prevent proper data substitution.
If your template must contain a literal bracket character ([ or ]), then insert a backslash character (\) before the bracket to escape the bracket character, so that the character is correctly interpreted.
NOTE: If a substitution field is not enclosed in brackets, or you enclose the substitution field in some other notation, such as percentage characters (%), then Communications Outbound Manager cannot perform substitution for the field.