Siebel Email Administration Guide > Using Communications Operations > Using Send Commands to Send Messages >
You can send a fax to any recipient. Optionally, you can include Siebel application content in the fax. Fax addresses are retrieved from the Siebel database for faxes to employees or contacts.
Whether the Pick Recipient dialog box appears after Step 2 in the following procedure depends on the kind of data that currently has the focus when you choose the Send Fax command. Note the following points:
- If the current record is a person, such as a contact or employee, then the Pick Recipient dialog box does not appear. The Send Fax window appears.
NOTE: The fax activity record is associated with a recipient derived from the current record (such as a contact or employee) if a user does not change the fax addressing information in the To, Cc, or Bcc line. In addition, the fax addressing field must be configured in Siebel Tools for your deployment.
- If the current record is an element, such as a service request or account, then the Pick Recipient dialog box appears if generic recipients are configured. Choose generic recipients, such as the contacts associated with the current service request.
- If the current record is a Siebel attachment or literature item, then the Pick Recipient dialog box does not appear. The Send Fax window appears, and the item is added as an attachment to the pending fax message. (Siebel attachments with a URL type are not added as email attachments.)
To send a fax
- Optionally, select one or more records of contacts, employees, or other persons for whom fax numbers are defined in the Siebel database.
Alternatively, select one or more records of attachments or literature items to send as attachments to the fax message.
- Perform one of the following steps:
- From the application-level menu, choose File, then Send Fax.
- Press Ctrl+F9.
- Click to the right of Initiate Work Item on the communications toolbar, then click Send Fax, or click Initiate Work Item when Send Fax is the displayed ToolTip text. For more information about initiating work items, see Siebel CTI Administration Guide.
If you do not specify recipients in Step 1, then the Pick Recipient dialog box appears. If you specify recipients before invoking the command, then the Send Fax window appears. If the Send Fax window appears, then go to Step 4.
- In the Pick Recipient dialog box, specify the recipient or specify no recipient yet.
The available recipients to choose from depend on the application context. For example, if Send Fax is invoked from a Service Requests list, then the choices are Service Request Contact and Service Request Owner.
The Send Fax window appears.
- For the From field, specify the profile to represent who is sending the message.
The listed profiles are the profiles created for communications drivers that support email or fax, such as Internet SMTP/IMAP Server or Internet SMTP/POP3 Server. In some cases, a profile might be automatically inserted into this field. You can specify a default profile in the Outbound Communications view of the User Preferences screen.
- For the To, Cc, or Bcc fields, perform one or more of the following steps:
- Verify any recipients that were automatically inserted in previous steps.
- Type any additional recipient fax addresses, using the appropriate format for your fax integration.
- Use the address book to enter additional recipients. Click To, Cc, or Bcc and explicitly specify individual persons from the address book dialog box. For each intended recipient, select the To, CC, or BCC check box. After specifying all recipients, click OK. Verify that the addresses appear correctly.
- Optionally, for the Body drop-down list, choose the name of a communications template (with a Body type) to insert into the message body.
You can configure a template to insert automatically, according to where you invoke the Send Fax command. For more information, see Configuring Default Templates for Send Email Command.
Field substitution applies to template text when you insert the text into a message. Substitution functions correctly if the fields exist in the current list or form (containing focus) in the Siebel application.
You can insert more than one template. Any template you choose is appended to the existing text.
The listed templates are subject to filtering that is based on several factors, including channel, language, locale, and whether the template is HTML or plain text. For more information, see Visibility and Access for Templates.
- Optionally, verify or enter text for the subject line.
Text might be automatically inserted into the subject line when you select a template.
- Optionally, enter and format free-form text to modify or add to the template text.
For information about the available text-editing controls, see Editing and Formatting Controls for Send Email and Send Fax Commands.
- Optionally, if you edit in plain text mode, then you can click Remove HTML Tags on the upper right to remove any HTML tagging in your message text.
- Optionally, click the icons on the lower right to specify operating system files (paper clip icon) or literature items (document icon) as attachments to the fax message.
The attachments icon lets you specify files from the operating system as attachments and displays a list of all files and literature items you previously specified for the fax message.
The literature icon displays a list of literature items you can specify as attachments.
The Attachments field displays the most recently specified attachment if you specify more than one attachment. All fax attachments are saved as attachments to the activity record that is created when the message is sent.
- Optionally, check the spelling for your message.
- Click Send, or click Cancel if you decide not to send the fax.
NOTE: If you cancel the fax, then the corresponding Siebel activity record (created to track the send operation) is deleted.