Install SLES 11 Using Local or Remote Media
This procedure describes how to boot the SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) 11
operating system from local or remote media. It assumes that you are booting
the SLES 11 installation media from one of the following sources:
For further details about installing SLES 11, see the SUSE Linux Enterprise Server
documentation collection at:
- Ensure that the install media is available to boot.
- For Distribution CD/DVD. Insert the SLES 11 boot disc (CD labeled number 1 or DVD)
into the local or external CD/DVD-ROM drive.
- For ISO images. Ensure that the SLES 11 ISO images are available and that the
boot disc image (CD labeled number 1 or DVD) has been selected in
the Oracle ILOM Remote System Console application (Devices menu > CD-ROM Image).
For additional information about how to set up the install media, see Selecting the Boot Media Option.
- Reset or power on the server.
- From the local server, press the Power button (approximately 1 second) on the front panel of
the server to power off the server, then press the Power button again to
power on the server.
- From the Oracle ILOM web interface, click Host Management > Power Control and select Reset from the Select
Action list box.
- From the Oracle ILOM CLI on the server SP, type: reset /System
The BIOS screen appears.
Note - The next events occur very quickly; therefore, focused attention is needed for the
following steps. Watch carefully for these messages as they appear on the screen
for a brief time. You might want to enlarge the size of your
screen to eliminate scroll bars.
- In the BIOS screen, press F8 to specify a temporary boot device for the
SLES OS installation.
The Please Select Boot Device menu appears. The screen that appears will be
different depending on whether you have BIOS configured for legacy BIOS mode or
For legacy BIOS, the following screen appears:
For UEFI BIOS, the following screen appears:
Note - The boot device menu that appears in your installation might differ depending on
the type of disk controller installed in your server.
- In the Please Select Boot Device menu, select the menu item according to
the SLES OS media installation method and the BIOS mode you elected to
use, then press Enter.
For example, if you elected to use the Oracle ILOM Remote System Console
delivery method, select USB:VIRTUAL:AMI VIRTUAL CDROM 1.00 from the legacy BIOS screen or [UEFI]USB:VIRTUAL:USB USB CD/DVD Drive from the UEFI
The SUSE Linux boot screen appears.
- In the initial SUSE boot installation screen, use the tab key to select
the second option Installation and press Enter.
The Welcome screen appears.
- In the Welcome screen, do the following
- Select the appropriate Language.
- Select the Keyboard layout.
- Read and accept the License Agreement.
- Click Next.
The Media Check screen appears.
- If this the first time that you are doing an install from this
media, it is recommended that you test the media; otherwise, click Next and
proceed to Step 9.
- To check the media, do the following:
- Select the media type and click the Start Check button.
- When the media check completes, click Next.
The System Probing screen appears.
Upon completion of the system analysis, the Installation Mode screen appears.
- In the Installation Mode screen, select New Installation, then click Next.
The Clock and Time Zone screen appears.
- In the Clock and Time Zone screen, select the appropriate region and time
zone, then click Next.
The Server Base Scenario screen appears.
- In the Server Base Scenario screen, select Physical Machine, then click Next.
The Installation Settings screen appears.
- In the Installation Settings screen, do either of the following:
- Click Install to accept the installation settings shown.
- Click Change to edit the settings, then click Install to install with the changes.
Note - For more information about how to create custom partitions or edit other installation
settings, refer to the SLES 11 documentation.
The Confirm Package License screen appears.
- In the Confirm Package License screen, do the following:
- Read the License Agreement.
- Click I Agree.
- Click Install.
A Confirm Installation dialog appears.
- In the Confirm Installation dialog, read the message and click Install to start
The Perform Installation dialog appears.
- Continue the basic installation setup until all the SLES 11 SP1 OS files
are installed and the system reboots.
- After the completing the basic installation setup and the system reboots, refer to
the SLES 11 documentation to perform the following tasks:
- Create a password for your account.
- Configure and test the Internet access and network settings.
- Register the OS and download the latest updates available to the operating system.
- Review and, if necessary, perform the post installation tasks described in Post Installation Tasks for SLES 11.