About Block Offset Types
Block offset types functionality assists in correctly accounting for revenue on business blocks. Block Offset Types are rooms having reduced rates from their associated room types and rate codes. This includes Complimentary, Staff, Concessionary, and similar rooms with reduced rates.
- Block Offset Types are exchanged between OPERA to OPERA via OXI-HUB.
- Block Offsets can be subscribed to in Business Events. See the Business Events Data Elements Spreadsheets for a complete list of block offsets data elements.
- Block offsets types are not considered for inventory on the Business Block Room Grid (Business Block>Edit>Grid). An additional Offset Grid handles offsets.
- The Offset Grid allows you to apply room and rate offsets to a business block. By applying business block offsets in the offset grid, the system will calculate the forecasted block revenue more accurately, rather than from the main room grid not having offsets applied. For example, when a business block is created for 100 guests for three nights with a rate of $300.00 per night, and 10 of the 100 rooms each night are Staff rooms and are sold at a rate much lower than the rate that is applied to the main room grid, it is possible to create an "offset" for these Staff rooms on the offset grid. Let's say the Staff rate is $100.00, instead of the $300.00 that is applied to the regular guests. The main room grid will still be entered for 100 rooms, for three nights, for $300.00 per night. However, the calculation on the Business Block Statistics screen will show the block and its revenue taking the Staff rooms into consideration at their reduced rate. Therefore, the forecasted block revenue is more accurate than if not considering the Staff rooms. Offsets are only included in the calculation of the forecasted block revenue on the Business Block Statistics screen, in Data Extraction for business blocks, and in S&C Advanced Reporting. None of the standard OPERA business blocks reports calculate offsets under consideration.
- Revenue can be calculated with (or without) block offsets on the Block Statistics screen (Business Block>Edit>Statistics).
- Complimentary Rooms allow you to specify the value of the complimentary rooms and to include offset rooms (when available) for calculations (Reservations>Blocks>Business Block>Rooms Revenue and Catering Revenue>Complimentary Rooms).
- Package elements can be linked to Offset Types from the packages ellipse on the Business Block Header.
- Rate Codes can be linked to Offset Types from the Rate Code selection LOV on the Business Block Header.
- Block Offset Types are available in S&C Advanced Reporting for calculating existing block revenue in Room Block and Business Block Summary subject areas.
Block Offset Types display throughout OPERA when the following application setting is active and permissions are granted.
- The application function BLOCKS>BUSINESS BLOCK OFFSETS TYPES must be active.
- The permission RESERVATIONS CONFIG - BUSINESS BLOCK OFFSETS TYPES must be granted to configure Block Offset Types.
- The permission BLOCKS - BLOCK OFFSET EDIT must be granted to select Offset Types on the Business Block and Quick Business Block screens and to work with Offsets functionality.