Creating custom objects
Create custom objects to compile extended information for tracking a contact or account.
Note: Opportunity, Purchase History, and Oracle Sales Cloud Leads custom objects are available for all trims. You can only create new custom objects with the Standard or Enterprise trims, or by purchasing the Oracle Eloqua Data Tools Cloud Service add-on. If you do not have the default custom objects, log in to My Oracle Support and create a service request.
Creating a custom object is a two-part process. First, you'll need to create and define the custom object that will contain your custom object records. Then, add any combination of contact (and account) fields, form fields, and custom fields that will be used to store custom object record information.
To create a custom object:
Navigate to Audience , then click Custom Objects.
- Click the Custom Object drop-down and select New Custom Object.
Configure your new custom object's basic details:
- Type a name into the Display Name field.
- (Optional) Type a brief description into the Description field.
- Select a location from the Place in folder drop-down list. The default is Unfiled.
Select the type of record to which your contact record will be associated from the Entity Type drop-down list.
Your options are Contacts or Companies.
Note: "Companies" and "Accounts" are used interchangeably in the Custom Object menu area.
Select the default record field to which your custom object will be linked from the Entity Field drop-down list.
Tip: The default selection for contacts is the Email Address field, but you may consider using the Eloqua Contact ID field instead. This can be useful in scenarios where a portion of your contacts do not yet have a stored email address.
- Click Next.
Click Custom Object Record Fields in the upper-right corner of the window, then select one of three types of fields:
- Custom object record fields: Unique fields that you create here, inside the custom object, for the purpose of storing data that is either too extensive (requiring many fields), nuanced, or temporary. These fields can consist of virtually anything you deem relevant for tracking a contact or account, depending on your business units, customer demographics, or the intended nature of your segments, campaigns, or programs.
- Contact (or Account) Fields: Standard fields in your Oracle Eloqua database. These fields are used to store static information directly related to a contact or account. Adding these fields to a custom object allows you to draw a more complete profile of your liked contacts or accounts, and keep relevant data visible and consistent.
- Form Fields: Fields on a form asset that can be read by the custom object to create or update your custom object records.
Add whatever combination of fields that suits your needs.
- Click Next.
(Optional) Select a field from the Group By Field drop-down list.
Note: A Group By field should be used if there is more than 1 session, to indicate how sessions are grouped. For example, if you want to aggregate multiple form submissions from a single contact by the Email Address or similar field.
Click Header Fields in the upper-right corner of the window, then select one of two options:
- New Header: Create a custom header field.
Add Standard Header: Add standard fields. You choices include:
- Zip Code
Header Fields hold information for the entire custom object record set, and are typically used for information such as Date, Time or Location.
- Click Next.
The central menu for the custom object opens. You can now start adding custom object records, adding or removing fields, or set up automated record services.