Creating an Asset Source
Learn how to create an asset source in an Oracle Cloud Migrations environment.
Using the Console
- Open the Oracle Cloud Console navigation menu and click Migration. Under Cloud Migrations, click Discovery, and then click Create asset source.
Enter the following under Asset source
- Name: Enter a name for the asset source.
- vCenter Endpoint: Enter the path to the VMware vCenter SDK endpoint of the external environment.
- Compartment: Choose a compartment for the asset source.
- Target compartment: Choose the compartment where you created the inventory assets.
- Under Remote connections source environment, choose the source environment.
Under Discovery credentials, perform one of the
- To read metadata of assets from the source environment, click Use existing secret and choose a vault and secret containing login credentials of vSphere client.
- Click Create secret and enter the username and password for the vSphere login credentials.
Under Replication credentials, perform one of the
Click Use discovery credentials to continue with the chosen discovery credentials.
Click Use existing secret and choose a vault, secret for discovery credentials.
- Click Create secret and enter the username and password for discovery credentials.
Under Discovery schedule, click one of the following to
perform the discovery job:
Under Metrics, both options for collecting the historical metrics and real-time metrics are enabled, by default.
- To perform an on-demand or manual asset discovery, click No discovery schedule.
- To use an existing discovery schedule, click Select existing schedule.
- To create the wanted discovery schedule, click Create schedule.
You can keep asset information up to date by using the discovery scheduling mechanism, as a recurring task. After creating a discovery schedule, you can attach or detach it from an existing asset source to begin or stop scheduling discovery jobs for external asset discovery and metadata collection.
- Click Create asset source.
Under Connections, you can view each connector to the source environment. These connectors are automatically instantiated using the discovery plugin in the external environment. The connectors change their State to active after they have verified their connection and credentials with the vCenter server.
Using the CLI
To create an asset source, use the
oci cloud-bridge discovery asset-source create --assets-compartment-id asset_compartment_ID --compartment-id target_compartment_ID --environment-id target_environment_ID --inventory-id assets_inventory_ID --type asset_source_type --discoveryCredentials credentials --vcenterEndpoint vcenterendpoint [OPTIONS]
--assets-compartment-id: Specifies the OCID of the compartment that is used to create assets.
--compartment-id: Specifies the OCID of the compartment for the resource.
--environment-id: Specifies the OCID of the environment.
--inventory-id: Specifies the OCID of the inventory that contains the created assets.
--type: Specifies the type of asset in the external environment. The accepted value is
--discovery-credentials: Specifies the credentials information such as username and password of the vSphere login credentials. The value cannot be null.
--vcenter-endpoint: Specifies the path to the VMware vCenter SDK endpoint of the external environment. The value cannot be null.
To get all the commands for
oci cloud-bridge discovery asset-source -h
get help for the
oci cloud-bridge discovery asset-source create -h
For a complete list of flags and variable options for CLI commands, see the Command Line Reference.
Using the API
To create an asset source, use the