Before you enable Database Management for External Databases, you must:
- Complete the general Oracle Cloud Infrastructure prerequisite tasks listed in Perform General Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Prerequisite Tasks.
- Obtain the permissions required to enable Database Management for External Databases, as detailed in Permissions Required to Enable Database Management for External Databases.
- Complete the External Database-specific prerequisite tasks listed in External Database-related Prerequisite Tasks.
You can enable Database Management for External Databases on the External <database type> details page within the External Database service or on the Database Management Managed databases page.
To enable Database Management for External Databases:
- Sign in to the Oracle Cloud Infrastructure console.
- At the top of the page, ensure that the region in which you want to enable Database Management is selected.Note
Cross-region monitoring and management of Oracle Databases is not available.
- Open the navigation menu, click Observability & Management. Under Database Management, click Administration.
- On the left pane, select a compartment in the
Compartment drop-down list and
External in the Deployment
type drop-down list.
The External Databases in the compartment are listed on the Managed databases page. These External Databases could have been registered either in the Oracle Cloud Infrastructure External Database service or in Database Management.Note
On the Managed databases page, in addition to enabling Database Management for External Databases, you can perform other tasks pertaining to External Databases such as registering and connecting to External Databases and discovering External Database Systems and Exadata Infrastructure. For more information, see Access Database Management Administration.
- In the Management status column, click Enable Database Management.Note
- The Enable Database Management link is only displayed if a connection is added to the database. You can add a connection to the database by clicking Connect in the Status column. The option to connect to External Databases on the Managed databases page uses the same panel as in the External Database service. For more information, see Create a Connection to an External Database.
- If you're enabling Database Management for a PDB, then you must first enable it for the associated CDB.
- In the Enable Database Management panel, review the
billing information, select an External Database connector from the drop-down
list, select a license type, and click Enable.Note
- The Bring Your Own License (BYOL) subscription does not apply to the Oracle Database Standard Edition. For information on the BYOL subscription, see About Bring Your Own License Subscriptions.
- If you're enabling Database Management for a PDB, then you do not have to select a license type as it's inherited from the associated CDB.
You can verify if Database Management is successfully enabled on the following pages:
- Database Management Managed databases page: On the left pane, select the compartment in which the External Database resides and select External in the Deployment type drop-down list. After Database Management is enabled, Enabled - <license type> is displayed in the Management status column. You can click the name of the database to go to the Managed database details page and monitor and manage the External Database using Database Management.
- External <database type> details page of the External Database service: On the left pane under Resources, click Metrics and check if database metrics are displayed.