Learn to create Oracle Database Homes on Exadata Cloud@Customer.
About Creating Oracle Database Homes on an Exadata Cloud@Customer System
You can add Oracle Database homes (referred to as Database Homes in Oracle Cloud Infrastructure) to an existing VM cluster by using the Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Console, the API, or the CLI.
A Database Home is a directory location on the Exadata database virtual machines that contains Oracle Database software binary files.
Avoid entering confidential information when assigning descriptions, tags, or friendly names to your cloud resources through the Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Console, API, or CLI.
You can also add and remove Database homes, and perform other management
tasks on a Database home by using the
Using the Console to Create Oracle Database Home on Exadata Cloud@Customer
To create an Oracle Database home in an existing VM cluster with the Console, be prepared to provide values for the fields required.
- Open the navigation menu. Under Oracle Database, click Exadata Cloud at
Customer .VM Clusters is selected by default.
- Choose your Compartment.A list of VM Clusters is displayed for the chosen Compartment.
- In the list of VM clusters, click the VM cluster on which you want to create the Database Home.
- Under Resources, click Database Homes.
- Click Create Database Home.
- In the Create Database Home dialog, enter the following:
- Database Home display name: The display name for the Database Home.
- Database image: Determines what Oracle Database
version is used for the database. You can mix database versions on the
Exadata VM Cluster, but not editions. By default, the latest
Oracle-published database software image is selected.
Click Change Database Image to use an older Oracle-published image or a custom Database Software Image that you have created in advance, then select an Image Type.
Oracle Provided Database Software Images: These images contain generally available versions of Oracle Database software.
Custom Database Software Images: These images are created by your organization and contain customized configurations of software updates and patches. Use the Select a compartment and Select a Database version selectors to limit the list of custom Database Software Images to a specific compartment or Oracle Database software major release version.
After choosing a software image, click Select to return to the Create Database Home dialog.Note
Oracle recommends using a custom Database Software Image not older than N-3 from the latest.A Database Software Image will not be available for Database Home creation if:
- The database version of Database Software Image is out of support. For example, Database Software Images created using 18.104.22.168 will not be available for Database Home provisioning after 31-Dec-2022.
- The Exadata model should support the PSU/RU version of the Database Software Image. For example, for the 19c release, the X8M-2 model supports RU version 19.4 and greater.
- Only Database Software Images created specifically in the context of Exadata Cloud@Customer service can be used while provisioning and patching Database Homes within the Exadata Cloud@Customer service.
- The Database Software Image is not in
Availablestate, that is,
Deletedor is being
Show Advanced Options
You have the option to configure advanced options.
- Tags: (Optional) You can choose to apply tags. If you have permissions to create a resource, then you also have permissions to apply free-form tags to that resource. To apply a defined tag, you must have permissions to use the tag namespace. For more information about tagging, see "Resource Tags". If you are not sure if you should apply tags, then skip this option (you can apply tags later) or ask your administrator.
Note that after Home install, patch to the latest if the latest patch is available.
- Click Create.When the Database Home creation is complete, the status changes from
Using the API to Create Oracle Database Home on Exadata Cloud@Customer
To create an Oracle Database home, review the list of API calls.
For information about using the API and signing requests, see "REST APIs" and "Security Credentials". For information about SDKs, see "Software Development Kits and Command Line Interface".
To create Database Homes in Exadata Cloud@Customer, use the API operation
For the complete list of APIs, see "Database Service API".