A taxonomy is a hierarchy of categories, mapped to your business structure, used to organize your assets and to help users find assets by drilling down into the area they're working on. You must be a content administrator to create and manage taxonomies.
Note:Taxonomies are available only in Oracle Content and Experience, not Oracle Content and Experience-Classic.
You can assign a taxonomy to more than one repository, and you can assign multiple taxonomies to a repository. For example, you could create different taxonomies for each department and for each product or initiative in your business. Then you could apply "Marketing Department" and "Products" taxonomies to your Marketing repository, and apply "Sales Department" and Products" taxonomies to your Sales repository.
When you create a taxonomy, it starts as a draft. When the taxonomy is finalized, you must promote it and associate it with at least one repository in order for it to be used. Managers of the associated repositories will be notified by email that the taxonomy is ready. Then asset users can organize content into the categories. When you're ready to make the asset categorization information available publicly for your published sites and assets, you can publish the taxonomy.
As your business changes, you can update your taxonomies by creating a new draft version. Changes you make in the draft won't affect the repository organization. When the updated structure is approved, you can promote the new taxonomy version for use in your organization, and assets will be recategorized accordingly. Then you can publish the new version of the taxonomy when you're ready to make the category updates public.
By default the Taxonomies page shows all taxonomies, both draft and promoted, sorted by name. To filter the list by status or change the sort order, use the drop-down lists at the top of the list.
You must have repository administrator privileges to create a taxonomy.
Create a Taxonomy
To create a taxonomy:
- Sign in as a repository administrator in your browser and click Assets under Administration in the left navigation menu.
- Choose Taxonomies from the drop-down list, and then click Create.
- Enter a name for the taxonomy. Don’t use special characters in the name.
- Enter an three-letter abbreviation for the taxonomy. If you don't enter an abbreviation, the first three letters of the taxonomy name will be used.
- Enter an optional description describing what the taxonomy should be used for.
- Click Create.
- Build your taxonomy by adding categories.
- To add a top-level category, click Add Category.
- To add a category at the same level as the selected category, click Add Sibling or .
- To add a category under the selected category, click Add Child or .
- To reorganize a category, drag it to a new location; select it, and click Indent or Outdent; or select it, click Move, then select the category you want to move it into.
- To copy a category, select it, and click Copy. Select the destination, and then click Copy.
- To rename a category, select it, and change the name in the Category Properties pane, or click Rename or .
- To delete a category, select it, and click Delete or
- To view the properties for the taxonomy or category, click , then, in the drop-down menu, select the Taxonomy Properties or Category Properties.
- When you're done, click Close.
After creating your taxonomy, you must promote it and associate it with at least one repository in order for it to be used.
Promote a Taxonomy
To promote a taxonomy:
- On the Taxonomies page, select the taxonomy you want to promote, and then click Promote.
- Select whether you want this taxonomy to be publishable. For example, if this taxonomy is only for internal use, you won't want to publish it.
- Confirm that you want to promote the taxonomy, and then click Promote.
After promoting your taxonomy for the first time, you must associate it with at least one repository in order for it to be used. See Create and Share Asset Repositories. Then users can categorize assets in the repository. See Assign Asset Categories.
Publish a Taxonomy
When you publish a taxonomy, it can be published to any channels associated with the repositories that use the taxonomy. If the repositories don't already have publishing channels associated with them, associate them now. See Create and Share Asset Repositories.
To publish a taxonomy:
- On the Taxonomies page, select the taxonomy you want to publish, and then click Publish.
- By default, you see all the publishing channels associated with the repositories that use this taxonomy. You can optionally remove channels. The taxonomy information will be publicly available for any sites and assets that have been published to the selected channels.
- Confirm that you want to publish the taxonomy, and then click Publish.
Edit a Taxonomy
To edit a taxonomy:
- On the Taxonomies page, select the taxonomy you want to edit, and then click Edit.
- Edit the categories and hierarchy as needed, and then click Close.
- When you've completed your taxonomy updates, promote the new version, and publish it when ready.
Delete a Taxonomy
To delete a draft taxonomy, on the Taxonomies page, select the taxonomy you want to delete, and then click Delete. Taxonomies that have been promoted can't be deleted.