You can add NGINX entities using the Add Entity UI or using the cloud agent command line interface (
omcli) with the appropriate JSON files.
Step 1: Decide how you want to add the NGINX.
You can add NGINX entities using one of two ways:
- Add them from UI
- Use the agent's
omcli add_entitycommand with the appropriate JSON files
Adding Entities from the UI
- From the Management Cloud main menu, select Administration, Discovery, and then Add Entity. The Add Entity page displays.
- Select the NGINX Entity Type.
- Enter the following UI properties.
NGINX UI Fields
- Entity Name: Name of your NGINX entity in Oracle Management Cloud.
- Host Name: Host where the NGINX server is running.
- Nginx Listen Port: NGINX Server Port Number for connection to NGINX Status page.
- Nginx Binary File Path: Full path to the NGINX binary file.
- Nginx PID File Path: Full path to the NGINX PID file.
- Nginx Status Page URL: URL used to access the NGINX status page.
- Cloud Agent: Cloud agent monitoring the host where the NGINX server is installed.
See Add Entities from the Console for detailed instructions on using the Add Entity UI.
omcli and the Appropriate JSON Files
- Download and extract the required JSON file(s) from the master JSON zip file. See the table below for the specific JSON files you'll need.
- Edit the file(s) and specify the requisite properties shown below.
NGINX Files and Properties
Definition File: omc_nginx.json
- host_name: Host Name of the Nginx Target
- listen_port: Nginx Server Port Number for connection to Nginx Status page
- install_home: Nginx Server install directory
- Add the entity using
omcli add_entity agent DEFINITION_FILE [-credential_file CREDENTIAL_FILE [-encryption_method_gpg]]
- Verify the status of the newly added entity.
omcli status_entity agent DEFINITION_FILE
Step 3: (Optional but recommended) Set up alerts.
To enable lights-out monitoring, you can set up alert rules to generate alerts and send notifications if your entities have performance issues.See Set Up Alert Rules and Set Up Alert Thresholds and Notifications.