Siebel Communications Server Administration Guide > Configuring Advanced Communications Features > Supporting Multitenancy >
Organization Visibility and Positions
Some Siebel data records can be viewed only by users whose current position is within a particular organization. Other records are visible to users whose positions are in different organizations. Records may be associated with one or more organizations.
Each user can have only one position active at a time. In some situations, a user may be allowed to see data for all of that user's assigned positions.
Organization visibility is defined for both business components and views.
Organization Visibility for Business Components
Organization visibility is defined for each business component, determining which of the following applies to the business component:
- Visibility is for one organization.
- Visibility is for multiple organizations.
- Organization visibility does not apply.
A business component for which organization visibility applies is said to be position-dependent.
Organization Visibility for Views
Organization visibility is enforced for each view. Multiple views that display data for the same business component may enforce visibility differently. For example, in the Contacts screen, the All Contacts view allows a user to view contact records within one organization, while the All Contacts across Organizations view (not available for all users) allows a user to view all contact records for all organizations.
You can determine whether a view enforces organization visibility by using Siebel Tools. For each view object definition:
- Organization visibility is enforced for the view if the field Visibility Applet Type is set to Organization and the field Admin Mode Flag is not checked (FALSE).
- Organization visibility is not enforced for the view if the field Admin Mode Flag is checked (TRUE).
Changing Position Manually or Automatically
For the agent to view some data, such as for certain screen pops, the agent's position must be changed, either manually or automatically. At any time, an agent can manually change the current position in the Siebel application by using the Change Position view in the User Preferences screen.
If the agent is the recipient of a screen pop for an incoming or transferred work item or a conference call, the agent's position is changed automatically, as appropriate for the context and for the screen-pop data. When an agent retrieves a paused work item, the original screen pop and position are both restored. As described earlier, the business component determines the organization visibility for the screen-pop data, enabling the agent's position to be changed, as necessary.
What screen-pop data to display is determined by the current business component, which is specified in the QueryBusComp parameter in the event response. See also Event Responses.
After an agent's position has been automatically changed, when a work item is concluded, the agent's position remains what it was changed to. The agent must manually change the position again if the new current position is not appropriate.
Scenarios for Generating Screen Pops and Changing Position
When a position is changed, a message is displayed to the user. If the position is not changed, no message appears, except in certain error conditions. Application behavior for generating screen pops and changing positions varies for each of the scenarios is described as follows:
- If the agent's current position matches the screen-pop data, the screen pop is displayed and the agent's position is not changed.
- If the agent's current position does not match the screen-pop data, and the agent has one other position that matches the data, the screen pop is displayed and the agent's position is changed.
- If the agent's current position does not match the screen-pop data, and the agent has more than one position that matches the data, the screen pop is displayed. The agent's position is changed to the first position that matches the data, and the agent is allowed to view all data that is defined to be visible for all the agent's assigned positions.
The Siebel client allows the agent to view this data by using the VIEW_ALL mode, which ignores organization-visibility rules. A message advises the agent to manually change to a position appropriate for the screen-pop data, so that the agent can subsequently navigate to related records without hindrance.
- If the agent does not have a position that allows the agent visibility to the screen-pop data, no screen pop will be displayed.
NOTE: Routing inbound work items using Siebel Universal Queuing should take into account the way organizations and positions are defined for your company. This way, you can make sure that a screen pop can always be displayed for an incoming work item.
- If the business component for a view does not have enough data to determine organization visibility, the screen pop will occur without restriction. The position will not be changed. No error message will be displayed.
- Organization-visibility rules for screen pops apply to inbound work items and to transfers and conferences between contact-center users. For inbound work items, the Siebel application always attempts to set the user's position automatically. For transfers and conferences, the position is set only if the screen-pop view enforces organization visibility.
- When a view has no records displayed, organization-visibility rules do not apply for screen pops for call transfers or conferences.
- When organization visibility is not enforced for a view, organization-visibility rules are not used when changing an agent's position.
- Multitenancy affects screen pops differently for different views. Siebel application developers, contact-center managers, and end users need to understand how this issue relates to screen pops.
Some views, such as administration views, do not have organization-visibility rules. Some views, such as views whose names include the phrase "Across Organizations," allow users to view records for multiple organizations. Organization-visibility rules are applied to screen pops according to the business component data. Verify organization-visibility behavior, changing position manually as needed, for the views involved in your screen pops.