Siebel Service Handheld Guide > Deploying Siebel Handheld Applications > Distributing Siebel Handheld Application Patches >
Deploying Attachments to Handheld Applications with Direct Server Synchronization
This task is a step in Process of Installing the Siebel Handheld Application.
You deploy attachments to the Siebel Handheld application with Direct Server Synchronization in much the same way you deploy patches. PatchAgent automates the deployment of attachments to handheld devices as part of the synchronization process. For more information about how the patch process works with synchronization, see Downloading Patches to the Handheld Device.
You can specify the storage location for attachment files, and set a limit on the storage capacity to be made available for attachments on a handheld device. For more information about storage location and capacity, see Configuring the Attachment Storage Location and Storage Capacity.
Setting Up Your Attachment Files
In order to set up attachments for Direct Server Synchronization users and subsequently download them to a handheld device, you must first set up the attachment files on the Siebel Server that requires a patch.
To set up attachment files on the Siebel Server that requires a patch
- Set up your patch deployment as already described in steps 1-6 of Deploying Patches to Handheld Applications with Direct Server Synchronization.
- Execute the following command to stage the patch files and the patchlist.txt in the correct location on the Siebel Server:
\SWEApp\BIN>createpatchlist /s C:\AttachmentDir\UserResponsibilityX /t C:\
- /s - source directory. The directory where the patch files are located. Put all attachment files for a certain responsibility (for example, UserResponsibilityX) here.
- /t - target directory. The directory where PatchAgent checks for the patch files.
- xxx is the language [enu, esn, and so on]
Repeat for other responsibilities, as required:
\SWEApp\BIN>createpatchlist /s C:\AttachmentDir\UserResponsibilityY /t C:\
After the patch files have been moved and the patch list created, the following message appears: Patch List has been successfully created in
\SWEApp\cepatch_xxx\UserResponsibilityX files transferred successfully.
NOTE: The name of the user responsibility directory corresponds to the actual user responsibility (for example, Sales Rep).
- Copy the patchlist.txt and all the compressed patch files to the appropriate subdirectory, named according to the responsibility, under the CEPatch directory on the Siebel Web Server:
\SWEApp\Public\enu\CEPatch_xxx\Route Sales - HH CE\patchlist.txt
The CEPatch directory on the Web Server will look similar to the following:
The patch files are now ready to be downloaded to Direct Server Synchronization users. For more information about downloading patch files, see Downloading Patches to the Handheld Device.
Configuring the Attachment Storage Location and Storage Capacity
After the initial installation of your Siebel Handheld application, you can change the storage location for your attachment files, and set a limit on the storage capacity to be made available for attachments on your handheld device.
To change the storage location for attachment files, add the following line to the RegKeyList section of patchlist.txt:
where DIRECTORY is the new attachment folder you want to use.
To set a size limit on the storage capacity, add the following line to the RegKeyList section of patchlist.txt:
where SIZE is a positive integer in bytes of storage (for example, 2MB=2,097,152 bytes).