Siebel Reports Administration Guide > Sorting Report Records > How a Memory Sort Report Works >
About the Structure of the Report Design
Structurally, a memory sort report is similar to a report with group breaks, as described in Using Reports with Group Sections with some additional components. These include:
- A second report section
- A sequential section to group the two report sections
- A data filter in the new report section to reprocess data from the master and detail datastreams in the preceding report section
Figure 14 illustrates the structure of this kind of report.
Figure 14. Memory Sort Report Structure
The major components in this structure are as follows:
- Sequential Section. This section groups together the outer report section, whose purpose is to obtain the master and detail records without generating any report lines, and the combined report section, which sorts and processes those records into a printed report. The sequential section causes these two processes to take place one after the other, which is necessary because the first process generates the stored set of records that is processed in the second process.
- Outer Report Section. This section holds the datastream for the master report.
- Master Datastream. This datastream obtains data records from the master business component. It is obtained from the data supply library file for the report.
- Inner Report Section. This section holds the datastream for the subreport.
- Detail Datastream. This datastream obtains data records from the detail business component for each master record. It is also obtained from the data supply library file.
- Combined Report Section. This section holds the data filter that obtains the merged records from the datastreams in the preceding report section and processes them into the appropriate sort order for the report. This report section also holds the content nodes that define the report output.
- Data Sort Filter. The data filter processes merged records from the datastreams in the preceding report section into the correct sorted order for the report output.
- Combined Datastream. This datastream is a child component of the data sort filter. It obtains merged records from the global list. The merged records have a record structure defined in the combined datastream's child data row component.
- Group Section. This section implements sort breaks between groups of like records.