Siebel Installation Guide for UNIX > Requirements for Installing and Configuring Siebel Business Applications > Requirements for Installing and Configuring Siebel Enterprise Server Components >
Requirements Specific to UNIX or Linux Operating Systems
This topic is part of Requirements for Installing and Configuring Siebel Enterprise Server Components.
Review the following requirements specific to UNIX or Linux operating systems:
- If the set-group-id flag is used, then make sure that the installer ID is a member of the group that owns the Siebel Enterprise Server root directory.
- Installation can be performed either as root or as a nonroot user. In most cases, it is recommended that installation be performed by a nonroot user for simpler administration and maintenance.
If the Siebel Gateway Name Server or Siebel Server is installed by root, then only root can stop and start the server. To avoid this requirement, you can use an account other than root that has the correct authorizations to install.
All future maintenance releases must be installed as the same user who installed the base release.
Whether you install as root or as a nonroot user affects how you would configure autostart for Siebel Gateway Name Server or Siebel Server. For details, see Configuring the Siebel Gateway Name Server for Automatic Start and Configuring the Siebel Server for Automatic Start.
See also Setting Permissions and Ownership.
- (AIX only) Before installing, verify that the login ID performing installation has permission to run
slibclean by asking the administrator to change the permission as follows:
chmod 6555 /usr/sbin/slibclean
- (AIX only) Before you install Siebel Enterprise Server software on AIX, you must install X11 filesets, if they were not included as part of the base AIX installation.
- (AIX only) Java Runtime Environment (JRE) must be installed on any computer running AIX where you will run the installer for Siebel Enterprise Server or Siebel Web Server Extension software. In addition, the following requirements apply:
- (HP-UX only) If the environment variable LANG is set to a directory name that is a symbolic link, then the Java installer for Siebel Server will fail. You must reset any existing LANG variable to the directory that the symbolic link represents.
NOTE: The LANG variable cannot be set to
univ.utf8. Doing so causes the installer to fail.
- (Oracle Solaris only) Set the TCP ndd variable tcp_co_min to the MTU of the network interface card.